The Age Of Hell review by Chimaira

• Released: Aug 16, 2011
Chimaira: The Age Of Hell

Chimaira is a band I only recently got into (we're talking this year), but it's proven very addictive and I'm working on collecting all of their albums. I find that each one I get seems to surpass the last one, and I've currently been going backwards trying to find their older releases. So while browsing through CD's at my local Best Buy, I was shocked to see a Chimaira CD staring me in the face with a cover I had never seen before. I turn the disc over and sure enough: It's a new album. I checked UG for reviews and I found none. (...What?) Amazon had a positive ones listed at the top, so I quickly skimmed over two of them on my smartphone and brought the album up to the front register and popped it in my car stereo. I was certainly not dissapointed. For those who are unaware of the bands recent history, the bassist, drummer and keyboardist have all left the band for personal reasons. This leaves just the two guitarists and vocalist left in tact, luckily for past Chimaira fans, these people are the main song writers of the group, meaning that the sound fans have come to know and love has remained in tact. Furthermore, in an attempt to not alienate fans, the lasting band members decided it would be best to use their newly recruited replacements on stage for now, and get them into the studio for their next album. This means bass duty went to the guitarists and drumming duties went to their drum tech. Smart move on their part. The sound reminds me of "The Infection", infused with some new usage of clean vocals (new on Chimaira's part). While I am a Bury Your Dead fan, I can appreciate clean vocals if they're used right, and boy are they.

Unlike the aforementioned Bury Your Dead, Chimaira is a band I really admire for lyrics without clear meaning, but an overall understood message each song has to deliver. "Clockwork" is possibly my favorite song on the album with its clean chorus vocals that sort of make you feel as though you're "drifting" (to rip off a sample adjective that very song uses). "I'll keep the earth below, drifting through eternity." Despite being metal, that feeling is something I retain while listening to the whole album. It's feel-good metal, if there is such a thing. The singer is showing clean vocal talent. A lot of metal fans take exception to that, and I find that unfortunate. there's a time and a place for everything in music, and I feel Chimaira explores new ground with their latest album without wandering off of the beaten path and turning off everyone completely. Well done.

I hear a lot of different bands when I give this album a spin. I hear MyGRAIN style vocals, I hear the sludgy rhythm guitar from DevilDriver or Stardown with a little Shadows Fall lead guitar on top, and the drumming although standard fare for the bands I listen to, is good. They're a talented group. I don't think anybody can argue that. This isn't an entirely new direction for them, as stated before, but they manage to work a bit of something new in. They cared a lot about not alienating their old fan base, but still not compromising their own creative wants. And that alone counts a whole lot towards my respect for them as a band, and is yet another reason why I wholeheartedly wish to support them by buying their music instead of ripping it off of a torrent or streaming low quality recordings from YouTube. This album NEEDS to be heard loud and clear. Every song shows that. I don't think you'll catch me saying that any album is "Chimaira's best work". Their best work would be something I'd compile for myself onto a disc from all their other albums. But this is one to own for sure.

Im_Broken
    HardAttack
    I said new usage, not that they were new period. Also you're 16, you have no business calling anybody an infant. Chimaira was making music when you were still wearing rubber pants to avoid wetting yourself when you slept. (Which probably lasted up until last year; who's to say.) GTFO of my review please.
    Sign of War
    Red Robster
    Sign of War wrote: i thourght it album was shit personally nothing compared to earlier releases such as the infection.
    They have like 6 albums and the Infection was the one right before it. You want to really compare it to earlier albums go back about 10 years, as far as Im concerned none of them have lived up to Impossibility of Reason. But this was the next logical step for this band I think. The Age Of Hell didnt jump out at me but as I listened to it over from start to finish I liked it much more.
    Beyond_Insanity
    Im_Broken wrote: Clean vocals are not new for Chimaira. How about you listen to Chimaira's older stuff before you say that, you ignorant ****. There's a shitload of them on the self-titled album, a metric ****load of cleans on Passout, and a few on The Infection. You ignorant little infant. Someone is an angry little gnome...
    SweepSDMF
    Wow, I personally thought this album kicked the shite outta the infection (which I didn't really enjoy as much). I thought the riffing on this album was amazing and overall it was one of the best. Im confused to see how many people don't like it, I mean, its better than Machine Heads new effort (que shitstorm?).
    KreepingDeth187
    Actually their drum tech didnt do the drums on this album like your review says...My band records at the same studio in Cleveland and Ben Schleigal the producer played the drums and Tony Gammalo their sound engineer played the bass...My favorite song on this album is "Beyond the Grave", but ya this album wasnt their best, and The Infection was kinda sludgy for them too, Resurrection, Impossibility, self-titled and Passed Out all are AMAZING though