At The Dream's Edge review by Chimp Spanner

Chimp Spanner: At The Dream's Edge

In a futuristic world where flying cars and hoverboards are a plenty, one might wonder what type of music would be be played in this time and place... I'll give you a hint; Chimp Spanner. Paul Ortiz, a relatively unknown musician in the business, has pieced together some of the most interesting songs in his album "At The Dream's Edge." He is known for his strategic abilities of writing very fast based, Meshuggah-esque riffs and gorgeously composed harmonies. This album contains some of the best songs I have listened to. His sound is very similar to Periphery, Tesseract and quite a bit of Meshuggah. There are tons of electronics incorporated and soothing atmospheric melodies. It's a dream world in "At The Dream's Edge", particularly in one of those dream worlds you wish the eight o'clock alarm wouldn't wake you from. He writes all of the music himself, for he is a multi-instrumentalist and a very accomplished musician. If you are a fan of "Djent", intense riff passages and simple electronica, you will adore this album. Weighing in around one hour, the songs seem to connect with each other. "Harvey Wallbanger" seems to be the most popular track due to its high ratings on iTunes, I will admit that is among my favorites. If I were to recommend a song for you to check out before listening to the entire album so you can get a feel for it, that's the song.

There are no vocals in this album, so no lyrics obviously. Don't fear, the guitars speak for themselves and it's as if the strings themselves have voices. (Scale The Summit reference)

Although there aren't vocals, the songs definitely keep me interested due to steady grooves and intriguing melodies. In my opinion the song on here with the best melodies would be "The Mirror." It beings with a nice riff, blending in with a great atmospheric background, and an enticing lead on the guitar. The rest of the song speaks for itself. The album as a whole is amazing, and I don't say that about many bands. Paul Ortiz of Chimp Spanner knows how to write music and you will soon find out for yourself that he means business. For the cliched phrase "I would so buy this album if it were lost and or stolen" I would definitely buy it again, because it is that great. So check this album out and I hope you enjoy it!

terran236
    freaking love this composer. I didnt know if i was the only one who heard the "futuristic" vibe in his music. LOVE IT. He does what i have always wanted to do: Turn imagination into music, with utter brilliance and tact. 10/10 Never a dull moment imo.
    NuclearPanda
    Travislauch ur going to miss a great thing. Chimp Spanner got free download on last.fm.
    ProgJazzMath
    travislausch wrote: I was gonna check this out, but: His sound is very similar to Periphery, Tesseract and quite a bit of Meshuggah. I'm already turned off.
    Just check it out man, you'll enjoy it. It holds similarities to those bands but isn't exactly like them. It's not tech madness either.
    travislausch
    I was gonna check this out, but:
    His sound is very similar to Periphery, Tesseract and quite a bit of Meshuggah.
    I'm already turned off.