All's Well That Ends Well review by Chiodos

• Released: Oct 17, 2006
Chiodos: All's Well That Ends Well

This album takes getting used to. In this case, that's not a bad thing. The first time I listened to it, it seemed like noise. The second time I listened to it, I thought it was a solidly good album. The guitar parts are more complicated than most music being made these days. That might not be saying much, but rather than sounding like typical emo/metal/screamo/whatever guitar parts, they sound new. The drum beats are interesting, but they could lose some of the cymbals. But this impresses me the most: I can hear the bass parts. In most music that goes in their "category", I can't distinguish one bassist from another and they're all expendable. I like the bass on this album, though. I don't know anything about the creation of this album; I don't stalk Craigery Owens. This is also impressing: the band seems to be able to effortlessly jump from time signature to time signature, genre to genre, and mood to mood. In a split second, they can go from a piano rock ballad to a pop-punk anthem. The next thing you know, there will be a headbanger moment. Honestly, this is the most original album I've heard in a long time.

The lyrics are my least favorite part of the album. I never did find out whether or not they were stupid enough to believe there were penguins in Alaska, or whether or not their mothers got mad at them for breaking a lamp while moshing in the living room. Nope, they're all love songs, or something similar. However, the lyrics sound great with the music, that is, if you can comprehend them without peering into the colorful booklet they kindly provided. It sounds good to me. The singer... I don't know where to begin. Three cheers for Craigery. His voice sounds excellent on this recording. There is one problem, and it just might affect his voice later: You can tell his vocal cords are just screaming, "Help me! This man is abusing me! I'm going out, training please! I'm gonna die!" He is singing/screaming directly from his cords instead of his diapragm, and at times, you can just hear the pain in his pipes, usually after the screams. People might say that it doesn't matter, but it will when he blows them out like his friend Sonny Moore.

This album easily goes among my best. I can see why they would tour with From First To Last, the bands are quite similar in mannerisms and about equally talented. I love the originality and free spirit of it more than anything. But originality and free spirit can translate to "noise", so this isn't really for everyone. I hate the screaming. Can't one band of today refrain from doing that consistently? It defaces the purpose of the words they are trying to get across. I don't mind when it occurs occasionally, but when it's excessive, then I mind. I would burn a new CD off my computer if this were lost or stolen. The best songs on this CD are "All Nereids Beware", "Baby, You Wouldn't Last A Minute On The Creek", and "No Hardcore Dancing In The Living Room". I'd recommend this CD to anyone who likes From First To Last or an MCR fan that can take something heavier than what they usually listen to.

MetallicA44
    chiodos... my favourite band. my favourite song is probably... "no hardcore dancing in the living room" or maybe "expired in Goreville" seriously. this band HAS to get big. they are too good to fade out.
    MetallicA44
    airedaletheband wrote: im sick of this emo/screamo/total shit "music"
    what the hell? stupid bitch. i hate people like you.
    dio5288
    solid cd, i also saw them with Atreyu and Every Time I Die, they put on a very good show...except their keyboard guy is kinda funny, he just sorta prances around when he doesnt have any playing to do
    Killingthecat69
    airedaletheband wrote: im sick of this emo/screamo/total shit "music"
    and that my friend is why your stupid.....your close minded....grow up....all people who listen to metal(or any genre close to metal, indie, and stuff other than emo/screamo) do these days is complain about how stupid emo/screamo is....its annoying really...there are going to be other genres of music you are just going to have to get over it...
    alxthexkiller33
    Chiodos is an amazingly talented band, but vocal comparisons are off. Craig and Claudio sound nothing alike at all. Both are extremely talented vocalist. (i know some are gonna talk shit about coheed but **** off) Oh, and the dude that said something about them being stupid for naming a song "There's No Penguins In Alaska" Brad got it from a cereal box if im correct... also it doesnt question if there were penguins in alaska. its a statement. lol the music reminds me of Dream Theater... Which in my opinion is badass. (: enough said.
    tralala13
    Craig kind of reminds me of Anthony Green or Sonny Moore, only better. I don't know why.
    cleft11
    you are all soooo wrong, the best song by far is 'to trixie and reptile, thanks'!!!!
    A monkey
    i find myself posting in an attempt to make some sense of the situation. Chiodos is actually talented. go listen to your shitty music airedaletheband. you truly are stupid and i pity those who are forced to endure your stupidity more than us who only sufffer from your occasional post here a monkey has spoken and now must rest