Bone Palace Ballet review by Chiodos

• Released: Sep 4, 2007
Chiodos: Bone Palace Ballet

Well, I've taken it upon my own will to write a review for an album that doesn't come out for another week. I couldn't resist downloading the leak considering I pre-ordered it well in advance and am having it shipped to me as we speak. So, for those who also have the leak, or for those who can't wait to hear about what it's like, keep reading. Otherwise, this is my final warning: if you do not want this album spoiled for you, please leave. Google happy bunnies or something. It's not my fault if you keep reading and didn't want it spoiled for you. Okay so onward. Chiodos' sound really shifted with this record. Gone are the cliche open D5 and diminished chord breakdowns in every song, and we welcome an almost darker, more serious Chiodos. They really caught the attention of a wide fanbase two years ago with "All's Well That Ends Well" and they are sure to keep a good portion of those fans, as well as gaining some new ones. However, I have a feeling some people will be a little disappointed with "Bone Palace Ballet". Who knows. Chiodos has blended a lot of styles just like their previous effort, with songs on both ends of the spectrum. The mellow and chilling "I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was A Wizard" is almost a complete 180 from the majority of "The Undertaker's Thirst For Revenge Is Unquenchable (The Final Battle)", which features vocals from Nick of the band Underminded. Overall, the album is pretty dark and raw, and every instrument in the band sounds in place. Jason's leads stick out as one of my favorite parts, especially in "Lexington. (Joey Pea-Pot With A Monkey Face)" in which he shreds some arpeggiated sweeps that just sound so perfect. Piano overall is very good. Brad really shines on "Wizard". Overall the sound is what I would have liked to hear in a Chiodos record with a lot of new flavor. I'm sure listeners will be pretty pleased. Does it top "All's Well" though? You be the judge.

Well, I really don't need to say much more than this: Craig's vocals have gotten exponentially better. If you thought he was good before, you'll think he is absolutely stellar on "Bone Palace Ballet". Not only did his singing improve, but his screaming has improved also. He definitely did something between the two full-lengths, because every note and every spine-chilling scream is absolutely perfect. Probably one of the best aspects of this album, if not *the* best. Alongside the vocals, the lyrics that accompany are very narrative. The album title was taken from a novel written by Charles Bukowski, and it's evident that some influence was taken from some of his writings as well. The whole thing opens with "Is It Progression If A Cannibal Uses A Fork?" and you hear heavy breathing as if a character in a story has just awoke from a nightmare. Craig also gives clues to this in a line in the song that accompany the image. Pretty cool.

Overall the sound is what I would have liked to hear in a new Chiodos album. It's polished well, the mixing is up to par, and every song is distinguishable on the album. I would strongly recommend sitting down and taking some time to take the whole album in from front to back, track by track, because each song is very different. I'm not sure if the songs all tell a linear story, but in my opinion, they could have put songs 2 through 9 in any order because they all have a different sound to them. I don't really like the lack of songs though. Ten songs is pretty minimal, especially considering they supposedly wrote 15 for this album. They could have at least surprised us with a hidden track, which actually seems to be turning up in fewer CDs that I buy nowadays. All in all, a pretty damn good effort. One more thing to say though: First listeners beware, it's almost nothing like anything they've done before. The closest thing to their previous material is "Teeth The Size Of Piano Keys". But those looking for an "All's Well That Ends Well Part 2", turn away.

AVApunk18239
    first comment!!go chiodos.i really liked this album its so unique its really good if u dont compare it to its last album.my fav songs are Is It Progression If a Cannibal Uses a Fork?,I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was a Wizard,Teeth the Size of Piano Keys,The Undertakers Thirst For Revenge is Unquencable.honestly i liked alls well that ends welll better.but u never no it may grow on me.its just so far from wat i expected. i was expecting hardcore not nightmare before christmas soundtrack?o well.....alls well that ends well.haha
    RickGardiner
    sum41freak8733 wrote: ya i deff. check this out , also been listening to alot of the sounds of animals fighting lately , anthony greene + craig owens = ****ING SICK !!!!!
    I can't agree more! The Sound of Animals Fighting is truly amazing. I'm gonna listen to a few tracks of this CD before I pick it up though, I'm iffy with Chiodos.
    Xx_Bruce_xX
    Seth Shadows wrote: mmmm I like a bit of their music. I'm more... not so chiodos... *rocks out to bodom*
    of course no band can beat bodom.=] but this new chiodos album compared to alls well....this ones BORING
    XcoreBluesMan
    sorry i had a nice chuckle of seeing "brutal" and "chiodos" in the same sentence, sorry guys but singing and screaming with a "dark, moody" undertone underneath isnt very original at all and uh oh theyre throw a wrench into the propellor by including piano...and sweeps, a sweeping solo, how...amazing it almost makes me want to call it "brutal"
    boyan89
    ive heard 4 songs from this album i love what i hear so far and the guitar work has improved! and that piano is beautiful!
    Carltonium
    im not a big fan of chiodos, i know some of the members, the singer is an ***** and a half...which may contribute to why i dont like them, but id rather listen to grand funk railroad than them if i stick to Davison, Michigan roots
    antileet
    well, to stop this one sidedness of the ratings, i feel that the album is lacking in real originality...
    Side Effect
    I really like this one more than Alls Well That Ends Well. I feel it just "flows"
    kaalplaysguitar
    yeah the cd is aight theres too many slow emo parts but its not as good as the last one which was amazing
    bassbeat77
    good cd... their previous disc was better though... especially the guitar work... but yeah this one is good too.
    Guitarist132
    goal91 wrote: it's amazing. best album since on letting go by circa survive.
    I think you meant juturna? I like chiodos old stuff a lot better
    kpo
    goal91 wrote: it's amazing. best album since on letting go by circa survive.
    Like that was AGES ago, right? Don't like the new Chiodos. I miss the good old days where they stayed to their Michigan roots...now they're huge.
    C&C Magik
    i may have to check this out, ive thought chiodos was pretty good before, maybe this will push me to fan status.
    Infamou$17
    I would probably like it if Craig Owens didn't have the world's most f***ing annoying voice. Ruins the whole album
    sum41freak8733
    devinbryndel
    They have one of the best sounds out now! So original no one can copy it! I also like the singer's side project Cinematic Sunrise! check them out! they got songs on there purevolume!
    mr_pajamarama
    the best buy where i got it only had one copy. i've been listening to it non-stop. i can't wait to see them preform the new songs live. they did 'the undertaker's thirst for revenge in unquenchable' at warped, and it was amazing.
    Comeback Kiddd
    go to purevolume.com and search them. wow the songs ive heard are awsome. i think im gona pick this up
    Nor'Easterbass
    in the pre-album release interviews with the guitarist, i got the impression they were gonna be way more metal. Now they have tons of piano in the songs and a few thrash-y riffs here and there? idk, i haven't really checked out the songs other than what's on their myspace, but i still might get it...idk...
    lisagabe
    meh..... all my buddies love chiodos, im more of a metal guy. that singer has mad talent though.....