Bone Palace Ballet review by Chiodos

• Released: Sep 4, 2007
Chiodos: Bone Palace Ballet

I don't know about you, bit I kind of hate to see a band get big. But it's usually for a reason. Chiodos is no exception. Bone Palace Ballet is a worthy follow up to Alls Well that Ends Well. Alls Well was sort of your typical metalcore CD, with a couple of unique parts. This CD is a monster all it's own and it's unlike anything I've heard. I have to admit, I was dissapointed when I first illegally downloaded the CD, but then it grew on me, and I went and bought it. This album is more theatrical and not as heavy as their last album. String sections and piano play almost non-stop. The heaviest part of the CD is on "Bulls Make Money (Bears make money, blah the title is too long) and they turned the volume of the guitar down for that. I was really hoping for another Alls Well, but I was foolish for hoping so.

Just like the last album, Shakespeares quotes appear in the music. Actually, the only time I've caught it is on the amazing final track "Undertaker". I love the part where he screams "All the world's a stage!". The lyrics the band wrote themselves are awesome too. Just listen to any track. Craig's voice has gotten alooooot better too. I thought he was good on Alls Well, but he is amazing here. It's hard to sing along though. "I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was A Wizard" has sort of cliche lyrics, in my opinion.

Overall, it's not Alls Well that Ends Well. But it's something great. It's completely unique and you should buy it. I love the album artwork too, that's one of the reasons I went out and purchased an actual CD. I hate how this album is very poppy though. I mean, it sounds awesome, but there is only one part that is anywhere near "metal". Jason said he wanted to add more metal, where the hell did it go? The lead guitar is also very good too, especially on Lexington. I also noticed, Chiodos wrote more songs like "verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge chorus" etc. Alls Well wasn't like that. I love every single song except for I love every song, but special props go to the song "Life is A Perception Of Your Own Reality" because it's so cheerful, and if you really listen, it inspires you, like it did me. Great job Chiodos.

nickel3t
    i enjoyed this album and I also liked the slow emo stuff that the guys put in..."Intensity In Ten Cities" has to be one of the best slow emo songs I have heard in a long time
    swansareroadkil
    i absolutely love this album. but! i think some of the lyrics are terrible. and the rest are genious example: i wish that i could tear the skin off of my face and ballroom dance with the cartilage of my nose.. thats just one of a few examples however
    fiendcracker
    UltraMegaChickn
    Infamou$17 wrote: I would probably like it if Craig Owens didn't have the world's most f***ing annoying voice. Ruins the whole album
    dude...wtf? how does his voice ruin the album? if you've actually heard the cd, than you would know that Craig is pretty much the star of this, and his vocals ****ing rock!
    rodgab3
    amazing album, the guitarist (jason) if a freakin genious man. ive seen them 5 times live already, they put on some CRAZY shows, and the songs sound a WHOLE lot better live (the new ones). great band!
    boyan89
    let me say something FOR THE LOVE OF GOD Chiodos isnt emo and their not screamo either their more hardcore with a hint of metal and well their just not emo!
    DevilWearsMatt
    This album was kind of a letdown. Theres a handful of songs that are good, Undertaker..(best song on the cd) and uses Shakespears All the Worlds a Stage perfectly..then the acoustic intro in Intensity in Ten cities?..is good but killed by the rest of the song..too much of an MCR feeling. The last 30 seconds to Teeth the Size of Piano Keys is the best part on the cd..the rest of the cd is not heavy, not metal, not anything we anticipated, although its played well, its just a different approach for the band which is totally fine. The thing that keeps me listening is the piano, it saves some songs..gives it a chilling feel. Derrick uses the same double bass line throughout the whole cd, the bass line is almost non existent..the guitars are good..and Craig is just Craig..could break glass at some points but can scream at others..he needed to scream alot more in a few songs (Cannibal Uses a Fork) mainly..but i give this cd a 5 out of 10.
    dancezackdance
    chiodos has gotta be my favorite band. but this cd was so bad. it really depressed me and it really works me up when i listen to it. ive listened to it through maybe twice maybe i need to listen to it more? idk but where to start.. the vocals were terrible on this cd. i love craig but this was just bad. idk how someone could say hes improved "and this sugggggessssstion" i cringe every time i hear it.. he tries to hard to sound all articulate or something but he just needs to stick with the high voice. and the whole dark theme sucks. the last album was hard but at the same time beautiful. this isnt either one.. its softcore orchestral string instrument blabhlakdblkjf were not in flipppin pirates of the caribbean i cant stand it.i agree with devil wears matt. the only good part on the whole cd was the last 30 seconds of Teeth.. its the only chiodos sounding segment on the whole cd
    quietimeating
    great CD, different sound from the older ones but still great. much like A7X and City of Evil, i'm sure this cd will sell the most copies and have plenty of fans but the "hardcore" fans will be pissed off by a lack of screaming.
    alec1027
    chiodos SOLD OUT! god they are in my top 3 favorite bands and this pissed me off. they are to popish now. and then the FEW screaming parts there are arent even craig ownes. god this cd made me sad. i still love them crazily. ill just keep listenin to AWTEW
    alec1027
    quietimeating wrote: great CD, different sound from the older ones but still great. much like A7X and City of Evil
    please you fag. never ever ever ever comepare chiodos with those ****ing gay ass shitty bands
    tralala13
    I'm glad Craig laid off on the screaming a little. Very glad, in fact. Screaming ruins your voice after a while, and I would be sad to see him bow his vocal chords since his singing is beautiful. This album is amazing.
    tralala13
    (claps) Atreyu's new album is garbage.
    tralala13
    tralala13 wrote: fiendcracker wrote: wow... might have to buy this one! (i am forever afraid to buy cds because of atreyus new bs that they call an album) i must say, i was moved to tears by atreyus death. (claps) Atreyu's new album is garbage.
    The reason is because it's just... not as real as it was before anymore. It's too compressed sounding.