Bone Palace Ballet Review

8.6
 9.3
 7.9
Bone Palace Ballet Featured review by: UG Team, on september 05, 2007

Sound: If I could describe this new album from Chiodos in two words, they would be brutally beautiful. Simply put, that is exactly what this album is. For those who don't know who Chiodos are, they are a post-hardcore band from Michigan. Two years ago, they released their Equal Vision Records debut, All's Well That Ends Well. The album exploded onto the scene as people heard the sound of the band, combining high pitched vocals, heavy screams, and thrashing guitars. The band then headed back to the studio this year to record Bone Palace Ballet.

The album combines the band's last album's heaviness and creativity with more piano and orchestral work. The album begins with Is It Progression If a Cannibal Uses a Fork? The song starts with a light guitar riff and Craigery Owen's almost silent vocals. The song slowly picks up volume to include guitars playing along with violins. The song goes everywhere from super light to super heavy, eventually building to a moshing extravaganza. The song also includes the neat addition of almost church-like chanting in the background for the chorus.

The next song, Lexington. (Joey Pea-Pot with a Monkey Face), starts with violins, and piano and slowly adds drums to the mix. While the song may seem like a combination of My Chemical Romance and Panic! At The Disco, it definitely tops what those bands try to achieve. The song has a nice piano background to whole song that accompanies Owen's vocals.

Two more songs that I would like to point out (which are entirely opposite of each other) are I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was a Wizard and The Undertaker's Thirst for Revenge Is Unquenchable (The Final Battle). I Didn't Say... is the middle of the album, and it almost seems like a break from everything that the album stands for. It combines the vocals of Owen with just a piano. This song is definitely a break from the madness that this album is, but it is so well done, that you almost have to wonder what the band would sound like as just a piano/vocal group. The Undertaker's Thirst... is simply what I said in the beginning, brutally beautiful. The song starts with thrashing guitars and heavy screaming. In fact, that is almost all the song is, with only a few actual vocal parts. The vocal parts even sometimes combine the piano in for such a heavy song. The song actually ends with another piano/vocal part from Owen. The song is a perfect ending to an album that is so amazing. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album seem to be about a girl. Some of the lyrics include maybe you're the one that's overrated and you won't be leaving my arms ever, I promise you that, even if you want me to let go honey. The lyrics are simple and easy to understand. The best lyric used in the entire album was originally said by Shakespeare, All the world's a stage. While this quote has been used countless times, I find it best when bands use it due to the fact that they pretty much make a living on a stage. The lyric it is used in is And all the world's a stage, I existed because I dreamed and well, I dream no more, I've given up on the entire human race. The album ends as words are spoken almost silently. Those words are: Empty is the sky before the sun comes up/Empty is the eyes of animals in cages/Empty are the faces of women in mourning/When everything has been taking from them/Me? Don't ask me about empty. While the lyrics seem simple, they have such a creative tone for the general feelings that this album portrays. // 8

Overall Impression: Listening to this album, I believe that Chiodos has achieved what My Chemical Romance did with The Black Parade, only better. They basically steered just off the track of their debut, but yet they were still on the track they were. This album is truly worth at least a few listens. Everything about it is so well done. Fans of the previous works of Chiodos have something new to get used to, but you will love it. Anyone who loves anything from hardcore to a bit of classical will love this album. As I said, this album is brutally beautiful. It combines the brutal guitars and screaming that the band had from their last album with a beautiful piano and orchestral sound to create something entirely new for fans to listen to and enjoy. // 9

Bone Palace Ballet Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2007

Sound: This is yet another great CD from one of the best bands ever (in my opinion), Chiodos! The sounds are kind of similar to All's Well That End's Well, but not exactly, kind of like they wanted to try a new approach at it, and it worked. They make good use of all there instruments, and all six of them do there job very well. A new twist is that they have some violins playing in about 3 of there songs, making it sound, well like a ballet, very awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Once again, Craig Owens shows his talent at writing good lyrics, and singing them out very well. I think he did a better job at lyrics on this album, it deffinatly brings his voice out more, and sounds just awesome. And there is a couple of guest "screamers" in this album. In the songs "Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered" and "The Undertakers Thirst For Revenge is Unquencable:The Final Battle" is Nick Martin from the band Underminded. He deffinatly makes the songs sound darker when he does his part, which makes the songs even more awesome. And the second guest, singing in the songs "Is It Progression If a Cannibal Uses a Fork?" and "Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered" is Jesse Korman from the band The Number Twelve Looks Like You. // 10

Overall Impression: So overall this album just rocks! It is, in my opinion, as good as All's Well That End's Well, but with a slower touch to it. The most impressive songs from this album are "Is It Progression If a Cannibal Uses a Fork?", "Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered", I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was a Wizard", "Teeth the Size of Piano Keys", "A Letter From Janelle", and "The Undertakers Thirst For Revenge is Unquencable: The Final Battle" pretty much naming half of them from the CD. If this album was ever stolen from me, even though I do have it on my iPod, I would still buy the album because it is awesome, and so is Chiodos. // 10

Bone Palace Ballet Reviewed by: lllostmotelll, on september 05, 2007

Sound: Well, I've taken it upon my own will to write a review for an album that doesn't come out for another week. I couldn't resist downloading the leak considering I pre-ordered it well in advance and am having it shipped to me as we speak. So, for those who also have the leak, or for those who can't wait to hear about what it's like, keep reading. Otherwise, this is my final warning: if you do not want this album spoiled for you, please leave. Google happy bunnies or something. It's not my fault if you keep reading and didn't want it spoiled for you. Okay so onward. Chiodos' sound really shifted with this record. Gone are the cliche open D5 and diminished chord breakdowns in every song, and we welcome an almost darker, more serious Chiodos. They really caught the attention of a wide fanbase two years ago with "All's Well That Ends Well" and they are sure to keep a good portion of those fans, as well as gaining some new ones. However, I have a feeling some people will be a little disappointed with "Bone Palace Ballet". Who knows. Chiodos has blended a lot of styles just like their previous effort, with songs on both ends of the spectrum. The mellow and chilling "I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was A Wizard" is almost a complete 180 from the majority of "The Undertaker's Thirst For Revenge Is Unquenchable (The Final Battle)", which features vocals from Nick of the band Underminded. Overall, the album is pretty dark and raw, and every instrument in the band sounds in place. Jason's leads stick out as one of my favorite parts, especially in "Lexington. (Joey Pea-Pot With A Monkey Face)" in which he shreds some arpeggiated sweeps that just sound so perfect. Piano overall is very good. Brad really shines on "Wizard". Overall the sound is what I would have liked to hear in a Chiodos record with a lot of new flavor. I'm sure listeners will be pretty pleased. Does it top "All's Well" though? You be the judge. // 9

Lyrics: Well, I really don't need to say much more than this: Craig's vocals have gotten exponentially better. If you thought he was good before, you'll think he is absolutely stellar on "Bone Palace Ballet". Not only did his singing improve, but his screaming has improved also. He definitely did something between the two full-lengths, because every note and every spine-chilling scream is absolutely perfect. Probably one of the best aspects of this album, if not *the* best. Alongside the vocals, the lyrics that accompany are very narrative. The album title was taken from a novel written by Charles Bukowski, and it's evident that some influence was taken from some of his writings as well. The whole thing opens with "Is It Progression If A Cannibal Uses A Fork?" and you hear heavy breathing as if a character in a story has just awoke from a nightmare. Craig also gives clues to this in a line in the song that accompany the image. Pretty cool. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall the sound is what I would have liked to hear in a new Chiodos album. It's polished well, the mixing is up to par, and every song is distinguishable on the album. I would strongly recommend sitting down and taking some time to take the whole album in from front to back, track by track, because each song is very different. I'm not sure if the songs all tell a linear story, but in my opinion, they could have put songs 2 through 9 in any order because they all have a different sound to them. I don't really like the lack of songs though. Ten songs is pretty minimal, especially considering they supposedly wrote 15 for this album. They could have at least surprised us with a hidden track, which actually seems to be turning up in fewer CDs that I buy nowadays. All in all, a pretty damn good effort. One more thing to say though: First listeners beware, it's almost nothing like anything they've done before. The closest thing to their previous material is "Teeth The Size Of Piano Keys". But those looking for an "All's Well That Ends Well Part 2", turn away. // 9

Bone Palace Ballet Reviewed by: redoriole08, on september 24, 2007

Sound: I think they softened up a little with this album, compared to the first one, "All's Well That Ends Well". But, that's not to say that it isn't good. It could be a lot better though. There are still a lot of great guitar riffs and solos by Jason Hale. The drummer, Derrick Frost, has also improved a lot. It even has some cool bass riffs if you listen for them. At first I was a little disappointed with it, but I think my expectations were pretty high. Overall it is a good album. Definitely worth buying if you like Chiodos. // 9

Lyrics: Craig Owens, lead vocals of Chiodos, wrote a similar style of lyrics for this album. The last album had lyrics that told stories of monsters, romance, betrayal, murder, and a number of things. This album also has lyrics that tell of romance, horror, betrayal, self-pity, and a variety. The lyrics blend well with the music and overall have a good sound. Craig has also improved his singing skills, along with screaming, which can be a bit bad at times though. As for Bradley Bell, he has definitely improved in all areas. His singing is much better on this album. His screaming is amazing on this album and is indubidoubly better. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is a lot different from "All's Well That Ends Well". It is less metal and has more of a rock opera sound to it. Less screaming but it's still got quite a bit. The drummer, Derrick Frost, has definitely kicked it up a bit, on some songs such as "The Undertaker's Thirst For Revenge Is Unquenchable (The Final Battle)" and "If I Cut My Hair, Hawaii Will Sink." Jason Hale and Pat McManaman still have a lot of good riffs and licks. Jason Hale has a lot of pick sweeps and solos. On songs like "Lexington. (Joey Pea-Pot with a Monkey Face)" and "Teeth The Size of Piano Keys." This CD is overall amazing! Even Matt Goddard, the bassist, has some cool bass riffs like in "Teeth The Size of Piano Keys." If I ever lose it or have it stolen, I'd definitely burn it again and possibly buy it. // 10

Bone Palace Ballet Reviewed by: The Spoon, on september 06, 2007

Sound: I don't know about you, bit I kind of hate to see a band get big. But it's usually for a reason. Chiodos is no exception. Bone Palace Ballet is a worthy follow up to Alls Well that Ends Well. Alls Well was sort of your typical metalcore CD, with a couple of unique parts. This CD is a monster all it's own and it's unlike anything I've heard. I have to admit, I was dissapointed when I first illegally downloaded the CD, but then it grew on me, and I went and bought it. This album is more theatrical and not as heavy as their last album. String sections and piano play almost non-stop. The heaviest part of the CD is on "Bulls Make Money (Bears make money, blah the title is too long) and they turned the volume of the guitar down for that. I was really hoping for another Alls Well, but I was foolish for hoping so. // 8

Lyrics: Just like the last album, Shakespeares quotes appear in the music. Actually, the only time I've caught it is on the amazing final track "Undertaker". I love the part where he screams "All the world's a stage!". The lyrics the band wrote themselves are awesome too. Just listen to any track. Craig's voice has gotten alooooot better too. I thought he was good on Alls Well, but he is amazing here. It's hard to sing along though. "I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was A Wizard" has sort of cliche lyrics, in my opinion. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, it's not Alls Well that Ends Well. But it's something great. It's completely unique and you should buy it. I love the album artwork too, that's one of the reasons I went out and purchased an actual CD. I hate how this album is very poppy though. I mean, it sounds awesome, but there is only one part that is anywhere near "metal". Jason said he wanted to add more metal, where the hell did it go? The lead guitar is also very good too, especially on Lexington. I also noticed, Chiodos wrote more songs like "verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge chorus" etc. Alls Well wasn't like that. I love every single song except for I love every song, but special props go to the song "Life is A Perception Of Your Own Reality" because it's so cheerful, and if you really listen, it inspires you, like it did me. Great job Chiodos. // 9

Bone Palace Ballet Reviewed by: Killingthecat69, on february 15, 2008

Sound: This album is probably one of the best Chiodos has ever put together. They've changed their sound sooo much. Starting off pop-punk/post hardcore/screamo, Chiodos has evolved to make a sound all of their own. These guys are really creative, and really showed it on this album. Craig has improved so much lyrically and vocally it's unreal. I didn't listen to them much before this album, but it's addicting. I'm sure all of you will agree with me on this. They've really outdone themselves and deserve all the love the fans show them. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically they really weren't cliche' on this album. Before, most of their songs were about love and sacrifice. Bone Pallace Ballet has a range of topics, appealing to just about anyone. The sound of the album really flows well with the lyrics so it doesn't sound like a big mess. Craig, like I said earlier, has evolved into a terrific vocalist. He hits notes like no other. There is also some screaming in this album. Craig barely does any of it. In the song, The Undertakers Thirst For Revenge Is Unquenchable the vocalist from Thenumbertwelvelookslikeyou does the screaming. // 9

Overall Impression: The overall impression? Where do I start? The songs will have you singing all day, no matter where you are. They are really catchy. The best songs from this album would be The Undertakers Thirst For Revenge Is Unquechable (the final battle), and Teeth The Size Of Piano Keys. I love this album because they really tried hard to make something memorable and they succeeded. I don't like that it has only ten songs. It needs more! If it were stolen/lost I would definitely buy it again, without thinking twice. I hope I was some sort of help for you. If you are a Chiodos fan, or even like them a little, I'd recommend you listen to this album. You'll love it. // 10

Bone Palace Ballet Reviewed by: martyrdood, on july 21, 2008

Sound: First off let's talk about the album cover, which is a vivid representation of some sort of 1800's ballroom situation, with two skeletal characters, which does look pretty cool. But just looking at the cover of the CD won't get us far so let's start off with the first track "Is It Progression If a Cannibal Uses a Fork?". Brilliant use of what sounds like Piano is used to much effect, then when the chorus sounds we are exposed to the real meat of what the song contains, the brutal melody of Craig's voice and thumping drums. This is by far one of my favourite of all the songs and I found the guitar Hale uses to have a very very metaly sound, which sounds freaking awesome in his little breakdowns. Next in "Lexington (Joey Pea-Pot with a Monkey Face)" we are introduced to another piano intro, and some very cool keyboard effects, this song is very much a softer song but still gets heavy and carries a really nice beat in some parts. The intro to "Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered" is amazing, it's something you'd want to learn to play, it's fast and really makes you want to sorta like bop your head to it, it's really catchy. We also get a heavy ass breakdown about midway through the song, which sounds massivly awesome. "A Letter from Janelle" makes my sun shine, it's a beautifully inspired song, and never bridges the gap between heavy and soft, it stays right in the middle. "I Didn't Say I Was Powerful, I Said I Was a Wizard" opens with a nice acoustic intro backed by Craig, but then the head banging commences and it gets very interesting, the guitars and drums in Chiodos are all supporting Craig wonderfully in this song. But the song stops midway through and the keyboards kick in, and some really cool reverb effects enhance Craigs voice really dam good. There are 10 tracks total, and not one of them will leave you anything less than speechless. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are clearly heard, Craigs crystal clear voice lets us hear every word perfectly, but I also like the fact that he can scream, it adds more depth to the album, I'm going to give this a 10 based of the fact that I've never really heard lyrics quite like this before, they meld with the instruments perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: Totally blown away, I look for new bands on a regular basis, and I though I'd reached the end of my search, until I heard these guys, then I was opened up to another band willing to produce music better than the average. This isn't one of those albums I'd listen to like crazy all the time every day, but when I feel like Chiodos, I feel like Chiodos. It's a nine overall, really really really well done album. // 9

Comments