Homey review by CHON

• Released: Jun 16, 2017
CHON: Homey

As I type this review, it is gray, chilly and rainy outside. Honestly, I'd rather be outside enjoying some warm sunshine, but the weather has me a little... monochrome. And yet, if there's one band that can be counted on to turn even the most damp of days into a day at the beach, the musical equivalent of a warm ray of sunshine, it's San Diego math-rockers CHON. However, it hasn't always been this way, as CHON had started in a bit more of a metallic vein, echoing bands such as The Fall of Troy. The progression of this band may be lost on those who started with their first full-length, 2015's "Grow", where the band had already firmly entrenched their sunny disposition, but for those who had been with them since their early demos and the 2013 "Newborn Sun" EP, this new album, "Homey", may be a bit of a difficult pill to swallow at times.

The band's trademark combination of math rock a la Don Caballero and current progressive rock/shred artists like Polyphia remains largely unaltered on the album's opening track "Sleepy Tea" and the wonderfully bouncy "Waterslide", though largely featuring clean guitars from Mario Camarena and Erick Hansel, the band decidedly changes their formula up rather quickly in the course of the album, incorporating electronic percussion and sampled vocals on the track "Berry Streets" (courtesy of GoYama, also a wonderful jazz guitarist in his own right), and this heralds the kind of changes that CHON are incorporating on "Homey". Even on some of the album's more "traditional" tracks, the band incorporates elements of this electronic production style with washes of ambient synths and noise on "No Signal" and "Checkpoint". "Nayhoo" takes this electronic element to its logical conclusion with CHON themselves almost taking a backseat to electronic beats and guest vocals from trap/house artist Lophiile and R&B singer Masego.

"Here and There" sees the band return a bit to their prog rock/jazz fusion-inspired style, while "The Space" utilizes more of the band's newfound love of electronic music production wizardry to great effect, and features some delicious crunchy lead guitar playing. Trap/R&B producer Giraffage leaves his indelible mark on "Feel This Way", though again it seems as if CHON has completely taken a backseat position in the track. This is not a bad thing, as the mix of electronic music and beautiful clean guitar playing is great, but it does leave one wondering where the band is on the track. "Continue?" (possibly a video game reference, as the band has been known to host Super Smash Bros. tournaments on tour) seems to suit the weather I write this review to the most, a rather plaintive piece that's a bit more "sad" than the others on the album, and features a very pretty section with bells about three minutes in that I quite enjoy. "Glitch" features a hip-hop vibe courtesy of another guest appearance, this time with electronic producer ROM. "Wave Bounce" ends the album on a rather traditional note for the band, largely devoid of the electronic experimentation, and actually seems to give drummer Nathan Camarena and bassist Esiah Camarena (both brothers of guitarist Mario) ample room to flex their musical muscles.

The writing is great, with a lot of tension and release in the music throughout, and the way the band incorporates electronic elements is superb, and even on a track like "Nayhoo", where the band almost takes a complete backseat to the beats and R&B vocals, the backdrop is still undeniably CHON. The increased use of clean guitars has led to a mix that's very clean and full of headroom, and a much clearer sound that still somehow feels quite warm.

YouTube preview picture

The majority of the album is instrumental, save for the track "Nayhoo" featuring Masego and Lophiile, and a few sampled vocals on "Berry Streets" and "Glitch". Without bassist Drew Pelisek, who left the band in 2016, the band lost their primary vocalist, though Erick and Esiah have stepped up to the plate to perform Drew's vocals live. Neither of them sing on "Homey", however, and the R&B-tinged vocals on "Nayhoo" are a bit of a vast departure for the band, taking them into pop territory. Lyrically, the song is pretty typical of the pop style as well, with a very catchy chorus melody that exemplifies the album's fairly positive vibes: "Can't nobody replicate this feeling/Got me feeling high, never low/I just want to say I really really really love you baby". Honestly, it would have been nice to hear Erick and Esiah perform some vocals for the album (and to be honest, I'm not sure where the samples that pop up on the other tracks come from, and they could very well be those two members' voices), but we'll have to wait for their next album to see if they'll lend their voices to any CHON material.

While the sky outside is still grey as I finish up this review, I feel slightly sunnier within, having had some time with "Homey". There's something about this band's material that's fresh, positive, and sunny, something that you feel could only come from a band living in a place like Southern California. You could put the needle at any point on this album and get that "surf's up!" feeling, and in a perfect world, a track like "Nayhoo" would be a massive summer pop hit, and you'd expect to hear this record spin at many summer backyard barbecues and pool parties.

Even so, CHON have done a pretty good job with this record, and the incorporation of electronic and R&B elements seem to work brilliantly with the band's positive, vibey music, though it would be nice to hear a bit more of a synergistic combination of the two elements next time around, and the fact that the electronic elements seem to completely push CHON out of the way at times would likely be my biggest gripe with the album. Even so, this is wonderful music, and along with recent material by Sithu Aye and Polyphia, this should be a big summer hit for modern guitar aficionados!

RaiviK
    band wants to add a bit of chill hip-hop and everybody looses their minds. This album is great!
    FlyingPirahna
    The worst part of the backlash is that the chill hip hop vibe suits their sound so fucking well.  I hope this doesn't scare them off of experimenting with sounds like this in the future.
    koalabacon
    I think this album will disappoint traditional fans. Chon caught my attention because their sound was undeniably math-rocky with prog-metal influences... Except it lacked the circle-jerkyness of math-rock - because a lot of bands in the genre seem to *really* focus on playing music that is technically difficult and about showcasing complicated time signatures and rhythms and *less* about melody and good song structure. Chon was able to accomplish both.  Anyone who is surprised that Chon has dipped into hip-hop influences, well, i guess should've seen it coming. For a band that seems to care equally about being technically at the peak of their game while also having pleasing melodies should expect some kind of evolution in coming albums. Also, the general style and attitudes of the members (heavily west coast inspired, palm trees, tye die, skater-esque) would almost point to them evolving to something with hip hop elements. All in all, i wasn't a fan of the songs on this album with chill-wave DJ features and R&B singing. But i can't say its an objectively bad mix. I think sonically, these songs were well produced and well written, just not for me. There will be people out their who will love these songs.  Most of all, go see Chon in concert if you liked any of their previous concerts. I've seen them twice, they are incredibly tight, well rehearsed and never a disappointment to see.
    sweenster
    Very disappointing sound in my personal opinion.  A change I just simply can't get into.  Not a fan of the hip hop influence at all.
    skyedm
    Good review, personally really like the new album. One thing though, Lophiile is actually the producer and Masego is the singer on Nayhoo
    travislausch
    Yeah, I had trouble finding credits for who did what on those tracks, and I'm a little out of my depth when it comes to electronic music artists. Thanks for the correction
    vppark2
    Def one of my favorite albums so far this year. Just wasnt a fan of Nayhoo at all.
    kmitchell74
    just finishing up my first listen thru...I much enjoy it. More tones of smooth jazz. "Checkpoint" and "Here and There" and two of my favorites so far!
    Hiddenelegy
    Didnt really listen to CHON much before but Ive listened to this album a little bit every day since reading this review, thanks for that!
    NeilTheDruid
    Great record. The only complaint I have is that the download that comes with the vinyl is very loud with very obvious clipping, so much so that I thought my headphones were broken. Anyone else got either a different digital source or a CD copy? What's the sound like.
    NeilTheDruid
    When I first heard Nayhoo I was kind of shocked. Now though, it's in my head and I love it. I like the route they've taken on the tracks with lyrics, inviting other acts into the record as opposed to what they did with Can't Wait and Echo on Grow. I always thought they were the weak tracks.