Euphoria Morning review by Chris Cornell

• Released: Sep 21, 1999
Chris Cornell: Euphoria Morning

I was shocked by the first listen to this album. About 98% of Euphoria Morning is acoustic guitar. At first I didn't like it, but it grew on me, and now it's very soothing. In certain spots in the album, definite Soundgarden-esque tones were unearthed. In "Can't Change Me", the intro sounds alot like Soundgarden's "Half". Most of the music on the album was written by Cornell himself with an exception of a few tracks which were cowritten, but they all have a great quality to them. I'm not into alot of acoustic music, but Cornell puts out a great effort with his solo album. There are a few spots in the album that I do no like, such as in "Disappearing One", I don't really like the clarinet, but the song itself is great.

Chris Cornell's signature is his classic voice. For Soundgarden/Audioslave fans who want to hear him scream his brains out, Euphoria Morning barely contains any of that. Most of his vocals are mellow and flow through the acoustic guitar beautifully, but there are a few appearances of his trademark yell ("Steel Rain"). Now, the lyrics, the lyrics, like the music were mostly written by Chris Cornell, but he had a few helpers every now and then. No matter the situation, all of the songs are wonderfully written. There is plenty of lyrical content in each song, so you will never feel let down. The lyrics are even better than any other SoundGarden or Audioslave album. However, the lyrics are alot more uplifting than the others if that's your forte'.

This album is definitely a masterpiece. I keep it in my stereo, and I also created a copy for my car too. I know this sounds cliche', but if this album was stolen, or misplaced, I would of course, buy another copy. The highlight tracks on the album are "Pillow of Your Bones", "Steel Rain", "Mission" and "Flutter Girl". My personal favorite track is "Sweet Euphoria". It's just Chris playing his guitar singing the good stuff. This album is not for everyone. Many SoundGarden fans will be let down by this album if they are expecting loud, fast tracks. I listen to this album all the time; it never seems to get old. I don't really hate anything about Euphoria Morning, but I love how there is genre-fusions scattered throughout. So if you are an open-minded listener who enjoys good music, buy this album if you can find it. Keep in mind that I tried to score this with an unbiased opinion, unlike many fanboys out there who give 5's to everything on a mediocre album.

scottishmob
    I need to buy this album. I'm listening to Disappearing One right now and its possibly the best song I've ever heard.
    con job
    after hearin wat this guy can do by himself with that new Bond theme song im sooooo gettin this
    con job
    Got this over the Christmas after reading this review(well done your review actually helped someone!) Listenin to Preaching the End Of The World as i write this. really this is a magical album. Sweet Euphoria is the nicest song EVER