Euphoria Morning review by Chris Cornell

• Released: Sep 21, 1999
Chris Cornell: Euphoria Morning

Obviously breaking away from his Soundgarden image, Chris Cornell displays a sensitive, pained side with Euphoria Morning. Full of darkness and desperation, Euphoria Morning is an album showing Chris Cornell's true versatility. "Wave Goodbye" is a tribute to Chris's friend, the late Jeff Buckley, and is delivered with an unmistakable funk feel, and "When I'm Down" is a huge change from his Soundgarden work, offering a smooth, R&B tone. The sound of this album is an incredible, independent one, with several types of experimentation in other genres involved.

Lyrically, this album is nothing short of genius. Pillow Of Your Bones offers some truly cryptic, dark imagery, with lines like: "A waning hand on silver granite waves/will mend my broken limbs and bend my haze/in sleeping in the silence of your voice/I'm cradling the peril of my only choice" while the song delivers beautiful and creative guitar work. "Steel Rain" has a very broken-spirited feel to it, with lyrics like, "Before we start another day together/you and I and the million miles between us/I train my moods to bloom like flowers unfolding/instead of fluttering around/slowly drowning out in the steel rain" and is another great vocal accomplishment for Cornell, with his voice stretching out into amazing ranges. Not to mention the great guitar work by Alain Johannes.

My overall impression was that Cornell was going through some rough times emotionally, and this turned out to be true. In the time after the recording of the album, Cornell checked himself into rehab for abusing alcohol and oxycontin, and to deal with his depression. For me, the best songs on the album are all of them, because they each show a different feeling, a different take on certain things in everyday life, in relationships and reality. I would recommend it highly to anyone who wants to hear something truly amazing, and it will forever remain one of my most favorited albums of all time.

Violet Addler
    Yes, indeed this is the best album that ever happened. To anyone. Ever. Best.album.ever. Ever.