Scream review by Chris Cornell

• Released: Mar 10, 2009
Chris Cornell: Scream

I see no reason to describe the sound. If you are reading this review you are most likely very familiar with how Scream is not your typical album from Chris Cornell and that it has taken on a very dance like feel instead of the grunge and rock background the man hails from. Personally I feel it worked well for him.

Lyrically this album is a mature Chris Cornell. He has been heading in this direction over years. No, it's not as obscure as early Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, or even some Audioslave albums; but he's been mellowing a bit lyrically. Most people call this "evolving" and "maturing". You no longer need to descipher his lyrics, but they are still "rock" lyrics, despite the obvious genre change. Chris Cornell does not have the 4 octave powerhouse voice he displayed in Superunknown and Badmotorfinger, but his vocal abilities are hardly taking a beating. He sings and wails in his usual manner.

This is a hit or miss album. Everyone has their own view on Chris Cornell and his constant evolution through the years. If you are more avid into Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog for their raw power and muddy guitar work then you will most likely not appreciate this album. If you are simply a fan of Chris Cornell then you have hope to not hate this album entirely. I love that Chris Cornell was not afraid to walk to the edge of a cliff and dive off with a paper bag as a parachute, however I think even for this style it could have been better. If this album were lost or stolen I would most definately buy it again.

satanlives
    I used to like Cornell's work but this is over the line. I can't get into it. I'm glad my friend bought instead of me.
    Teen Spirit
    JD Blue Venom wrote: theres a million things i could say about this, but cornell isnt even worthy of a rant now
    +100000
    conkerz IRL
    first off.. id like to point out that all those people who say blah blah chris shud go back on drugs, blah blah soundgarden blah blah audioslave.. its over people..so get OVER IT!!! hes clean and those two bands are in the past and thats where they will stay!!! (soundgarden arent reuniting!!! sorry) secondly his new album is completely and totally chris cornell.. its cornell to a tee infact.. his lyrics are still outstanding.. and hes doing what he always does.. makes genre combining music.. (remember audioslave?? gunge shrilled vocals mixed with rages unique metal sound???) i for one applaud chris yet again on another master piece.. and if some of those songs dont get your blood pumping..your probably already dead long live chris THE KING!!!!! stay true to who you are!!!
    Modfan66
    You know it's funny that as much as Chris would like people to judge this work on its own merits or non-merits, people just can't seem to not consider the franchise of Chris Cornell and Soundgarden without ironically throwing up all over themselves how he's selling out to mainstream on this disk. A disc that isn't commerical in any stretch of the imagination. Then there are the attacks on the lyrics, which miss the whole subtleties of this piece. Let's take the attack on the opener. It sounds superficial until you realize he's admitting he scoped out and even wants to lay it down with a little hottie only to get busted by his woman as he quickly tries to distance himself in the sharpest most hurtful way possible. "That b---- ain't a part of me" is a slap in the PC police's face, is misogynistic and a whole lot of other complexities but, real emotions rolled into one rollicking little ball of hate. Soccer moms ain't going to be bopping to soccer practice with this one. Later the diatribe about The Other Side of town misses the whole point of the possibility of his divorce floating into the soundscape. The album is minimal and raw and it's daring for somebody to let snatches of raw emotion into the cool Timbaland beats, sort of like a man drifting helplessly on an ocean, pissed off, resigned, definitely helpless except for the pounding of his own will to survive. By the time he starts to sing (not scream) "she won't even talk to me, no!" you find yourself shifting your car effortlessly into third gear. Yeah this thing never gets to fourth but, it's like a city drive with the nites shining off a Camaro's hood. Like Sonny Crocket driving to In the Air tonight. It's a contemplative breeze and you like it and you hate it for what it reveals in you. You could sit around waiting for another Soundgarden and album and while you do, listen to "My Wave." After that you might give this disk a shot (and I will admit, I needed about three passes to start to get it), roll with the waves and observe the parts of your hate that make us the ugly little humans we're so capable of being. Enjoy the mirror of this disc! And if you don't like it, just keep it off my wave.
    Msu_Man04
    The SONG "Scream" is actually pretty good. Can't be bothered to listen to the rest.
    defluxtor
    I borrowed this CD from the library maybe 6 months ago and I too thought I had put the wrong disc in or maybe there was another Chris Cornell out there. I tried to listen with an open mind but images of the Art of Noise and Tom Jones collaboration kept popping up even Michael Jackson !!! This would have to be the biggest disappointment musically I have heard in a long long time. Bring back the Badmotorfinger era Soundgarden for me thanks. Pat.