The Noise We Make review by Chris Tomlin

• Released: Mar 1, 2001
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Chris Tomlin: The Noise We Make

When you put this CD in your music player, the first thing you will hear is Chris showing off his electric skills with a distorted riff. He goes on to play several up beat songs in a row including "The Noise We Make" which is the album cover, and "Forever" one of his greatest hits. "The Noise We Make" is one of Chris Tomlin's fan's favorite songs because of its up beat rhythm. Many of today's Chris Tomlin fans would not recognize this as Chris, so if you like his current CD's, this is probably not for you. Chris also includes a bluegrass section in the song "Happy Song". The mix of styles on this CD is great.

Lyrics a good for every song on the disc, but some of the songs can be repetitive. The cover song "The Noise We Make" has the verse played a couple of times, and chorus even more. The only problem with that, is there is only one verse, and one version of chorus. A couple of other songs are like that as well, too repetitive. The lyrics, however, tend to go very well with the music. You can tell where the artist is coming from, and where he wants the song to go. Tomlin's skills in singing are not so good in this album. It starts off great with "The Noise We Make" and "Forever", but then he seems to sing the rest of the songs with the same monotonous voice. The only song after "Forever" that he really gets going in is "The Wonderful Cross". If you are looking for uplifting lyrics, this is a great CD, but if you want unique vocals, clever lyrics, and awesome lead guitar to go along with those, then this is not a disc for you.

Overall the CD is good. The best part of the album are the songs, "Forever" and "The Wonderful Cross" although "The Noise We Make" is right up there too. I really love "Forever" and the "The Wonderful Cross", and I could listen to those all day. However, I don't exactly get into the rest of the CD. I would compare this CD to the Newsboys' album "Devotion". That album has some good songs, and then the rest fall off the table. I would not buy this CD again, I would go for another CD and listen to my favorites online.

sg4ever
    Chris Tomlin is very generic and writes for one particular niche, which is stiff "church" traditionalists who are uncomfortable with creativity. They are essentially modern hymns with a rhythm section and timid electric guitar. By the way, Daniel Carson is his electric guitarist who plays all the riffs (met him, nice guy). Chris only ever strums open chords. Don't get me wrong, he writes for a certain demographic which is necessary and some of the U2 style lines his lead player does can be fun. At least a few of them can be good in a "sing around a camp fire or on Sunday" type of way. The David Crowder Band is(was) on the other hand, full of talented musicians and could pull off their fair share of interesting songs (some of them even boast impressive or at least interesting solos).
    emillyg21
    I actually picked up on that as well. With all due respect, Chris Tomlin's music is rather generic. I think that as far as christian rock goes, Third Day does a pretty good job of breaking that "generic mold." I would check them out if you haven't already...
    iftheresaroad
    I do not actually have this album. But, I've grown up on the Contemporary Christian music of the late 90's and early 2000's. "Forever" was one of the first Chris Tomlin songs I ever heard. I do notice the 'traditional' style of most of his music, but if you want to hear Chris do something 'creative' go listen to his latest from the Passion 2013 album: "God's Great Dance Floor" (this single is also on the Burning Lights album). There is something good about being creative and making your own mark (believe me, I remember dcTalk) but there is also good in the more traditional. Anyway, I think that Chris Tomlin, his band and all of his co-writers are very talented.I do not like Third Day (generally, "Revelation" is a good song), but they never seem to have a different sounding song, they all sound the same (at least as far as the music goes).
    iftheresaroad
    I do not actually have this album. But, I've grown up on the Contemporary Christian music of the late 90's and early 2000's. "Forever" was one of the first Chris Tomlin songs I ever heard. I do notice the 'traditional' style of most of his music, but if you want to hear Chris do something 'creative' go listen to his latest from the Passion 2013 album: "God's Great Dance Floor" (this single is also on the Burning Lights album). There is something good about being creative and making your own mark (believe me, I remember dcTalk) but there is also good in the more traditional. Anyway, I think that Chris Tomlin, his band and all of his co-writers are very talented. By the way, I really like David Crowder Band too, but I do not like Third Day (generally, "Revelation" is a good song).
    zillaman
    Thanks for the info on the guitarist, I didn't know that he had another player. As for Chris Tomlin and his songs, I really like them, but mostly from OTHER albums. I just didn't particularly like this one. Besides "Forever" and "The Wonderful Cross" it seemed like it would sing every song the same. I really like praise and worship songs, and play them all the time, but these weren't my favs. I also really like David Crowder Band*, they are AWESOME zillaman