Lovestrong. review by Christina Perri

• Released: May 10, 2011
Christina Perri: Lovestrong.

The whole album is mostly ballads with the piano being the main instrument. The arrangements are nice, but she doesn't take many creative risks. There is some beautiful piano playing in songs like "The Lonely" and "Distance". There's also some playful acoustic guitar especially in "Penguin". Overall the sound is very soft and well put together but as good as Perri can get with the melodies and the theatrics, it gets tiresome.

It's in the oft-brutal, always honest lyricism that lovestrong. Becomes something unique. Perri's delivery is sometimes subtle and sometimes staggeringly dramatic, summoning the spirit of a bleeding, tortured soul to call upon her experiences of love, lessons and heartbreak. The problem is that the angst is a bit overdone which can get quite irritating after a few listens. She moans and carries on, suitably so, but she struggles to escape the demonic fog. I guess she can only write about what she knows. She sings with an unassuming energy, opening her heart for the listener you can't miss the emotion in her voice.

As this is her debut album I would say, overall, it is a success. My favorite songs would be "Jar Of Hearts" and "The Lonely". I don't think this album would appeal to everyone considering the self-absorbed world of lost love is a very boring place if you're not going through it yourself. That said, "Lovestrong." may well be one of those records to slap on after you've had your heart chewed up, and run over by a truck and yes, there's a hell of a market for that...

Zeletros
    What is this? Surely you are a fan of her music, but even a fan would have written more than you have. So I am confused, it's like as if someone dared or payed you to do it. But I wouldn't pay for such a unprofessional review.
    Bananafish003
    She's on Atlantic. Please don't call artists Indie Rock when they clearly are not. Thank you.