Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll [DVD] Review

artist: Chuck Berry date: 01/24/2008 category: compact discs
Chuck Berry: Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll [DVD]
Release Date: June 27, 2006
The unforgettable life and music of pioneering legend Chuck Berry are celebrated in this landmark feature film, capturing a once-in-a-lifetime gathering of rock and roll's finest!
 Content: 9
 Production Quality: 9
 7.6
 9.3
 5.8
review (1) 7 comments vote for this album:
Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll [DVD] Reviewed by: hendrixfanatic, on january 24, 2008

Sound: The sound of this recording is superb, it's the first DVD release of this film (movie released in 1986, DVD version twenty years later), and for the occasion, the sound has been remastered to 5.1 surround. Chuck plays his beautiful dark red Gibson ES-355, Keith Richards switches between a Strat and a black Telecaster Custom, but the most important element for the band's sound is the return of Chuck's pianist Johnnie Johnson! The band plays really tight, the guests do a great performance, and Chuck is, well, the Chuck he's always been. // 10

Overall Impression: Hail! Hail! Rock 'N Roll is a great movie for true rock 'n roll fans. It's like the Last Waltz in some aspects, but with a lot of bonus materials. I love the way it shows the whole Chuck Berry, and not an idealised hero. What I hate about it, though, is that the conversation between Chuck and Robbie Robertson and the full interviews with Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis and all the other greats are all on the four-disc edition. So if it was lost or stolen, I'd probably buy the four-disc version, but I'd have to search ages for it (it already took me quite some time to find this one). // 9

Comments