Night Songs review by Cinderella

• Released: Jan 1, 1986
Cinderella: Night Songs

In 1985 Jon Bon Jovi caught a Cinderella show in Philadephia and contacted his record label Mercury Records. By 1986, Cinderella had released their debut album Night Songs which featured a couple ballads and rockers. Well at the time this was basic formula for success in the late '80s as a hair-metal act. Cinderella however is an original band even if not made obvious on this album, later albums would display the bands versatility as they got away from the glam-metal sound into more blues rock. The only version in America available for purchase is the original compact disc version. Which makes this a not so full sounding metal album. It doesn't sound horrible, I've heard worse mix's and this is far from it. A remastered version would be great though.

Pending the listeners disposition towards '80s metal, the lyrics are hit or miss. If you approach this album looking for the White Album or Highway 61 Revisited then you will be rudely awakened. If you approach the listening of this album as a hard rock/metal musicians and or someone looking for a good CD to jam to on a Friday night with the guys then you'll like the album. The lyrics aren't extremely cheesy like other hair metal bands such as Britny Fox, Winger or White Lion. These guys as I mentioned earlier are the upper-tier of '80s hair-metal. A standout moment on the album comes from the title track which is about an over-night truck driver who needs to hear only the singles of albums to keep him up all night. I thought this was a cool topic to base an album off of. "Nobody's Fool" is a ballad that gave them their first hit (of course right). Nobody's Fool is a nice piece. One of the better tracks is "Somebody Save Me" which is a good piece of lyrical fiction. This song is based around a working man who faces the dilemma that the American dream that is glamorized isn't what it's cracked up to be. Tom Keifer is the brains behind this band. He arranges many of the songs lyrics and music. His voice is mixed between Steven Tyler and Brian Johnson. It's a very distinct vocal sound with a very powerful growl.

This was their debut album, and this is a classic metal album. That's fact. However if I compare it to their other albums, it isn't as deep nor does it have as much substance as the sophomore release "Long Cold Winter" and '90s "Heartbreak Station". Those two are thought out pieces of blues influenced rock songs. Night Songs got the band into the mainstream and helped launch their music by using the famous image approach of the business at the time. I urge you to not let the fact that Cinderella was a glam-metal band in the '80s deter you from appreciating the actual instrumentation. This was the hardest album they ever released and they are considered one of the top 5 '80s metal acts along with Motley Crue, Ratt, Dokken and Whitesnake. If you're going to dabble in hair-metal, you might as well start out with the best.

Z-Bone
    This album kicks ass.It's heavier than "Long Cold Winter",and "Heartbreak Station".And not a bad song on it.If your into hair bands,and have not picked this album up..Your missing out.I suggest going to buy it now!!
    CinderellaFan14
    This review seems sort of bias to me. You're not comparing this album to Long Cold Winter or anything else; you're reviewing Night Songs, not comparing albums. It seems you like blues-rock a lot more than Night Songs, and I think that album reviews should be non-bias.