Blue Sky Noise review by Circa Survive

• Released: Apr 20, 2010
Circa Survive: Blue Sky Noise

Circa Survive has come a long way and has shown us mindblowing technique. Now with their Blue Sky Noise record released, they've added more to the table. Their sound off this CD has changed a great amount in several ways, but it's still the same Circa we know and love. A lot of the songs sound more distorted and are missing the ambience we're all used to, but it's only the same band doing things they've never done before in the past. Songs such as "Get Out" have it's basic structure and sort of radio friendly atmosphere, but the melodies used and somewhat ominous tone of their music is in it still. Although, the overall sound isn't as technical and I believe the production process was done a bit poorly, aiming highly at the vocal melody. You don't get the whole feel of every instrument on this album as much as the previous ones. Their sound is still there nonetheless. Songs such as "Glass Arrows" have their old feel to it which fans can enjoy. Starting off with that song might help the listener to portray everything much easier. For some, the album might take a little bit of getting used to, but it's a spectacular record and I'd feel sorry for you for not tuning in.

What's to debate as far as lyrics when dealing with Anthony Green? He never ceases to amaze in writing. Lyrics on this album are very interesting and well thought just like the previous songs. The somewhat repetitive lyrical style of writing is still there as well. It's shown in "Glass Arrows" well and also "Strange Terrain". The only flaw I believe is that the lyrics aren't as memorable as the older ones, but that might also be because the older songs are more classical to the listener. The lyrics almost don't feel as important, yet still very interesting and well thought of. "I Felt Free" has great lyrics during the verses especially. "Nothing new to say. Nothing to report because the future happened yesterday. If I could tell the truth, I could make you stay, but forever seems to far away". Overall, Anthony Green still has his "out there" lyrical concept and has managed to keep hold of it, flowing just as well with the music. Perfect composition.

At first I had listened to it and I was impressed, but not too satisfied. How do I feel now? Still not as satisfied, but I'm glad I have a new amazing album. I understood it much more after giving it time. It's blowing my mind! This is the best record I've heard in a long time. Overall sound is superb other than mastering and the whole production process. Other than that, every member of the band manages to match with each other so well, just like the other albums and they've managed to stay connected as a band. It's not very common to see that anymore. Now that I have Blue Sky Noise, it pumps me up just as much for their next album to drop.

elleild
    At first I had listened to it and I was impressed, but not too satisfied. How do I feel now? Still not as satisfied, but I'm glad I have a new amazing album. I understood it much more after giving it time. It's blowing my mind! This is the best record I've heard in a long time. What the?
    Zapfire
    huhhh?
    Night_Lights
    Decent album, I don't like it nearly as much as OLG and Juturna. Terribly written review.
    tomwaits
    Reviewer has no idea. I have to say this is my favourite circa album to date. It has a glorious kind of feel to it, like I should be flying over green fields and such.
    peacockpeople
    "Overall sound is superb other than mastering and the whole production process. " reviewer, how much do you know about the production/post-production process? the recording of this album is phenomenal, and it's one of the best produced albums that i've heard in a long time, especially from a band like circa survive. what is your reasoning behind this?
    Bassman 561
    this album is amazing. listen to it all the way through, then go back and listen to On Letting Go. you can tell that they had some good ideas on OLG, but they were a bit too proggy and not as "in your face" with their melodies and hooks. although, i have to say i like the OLG's lyrics better.
    RohanPhoenix
    as a relatively new fan(started listening about a year ago) i really enjoyed this new album. i found it more accessible and i enjoyed the technique introduced in each song. solos(though rare) were pretty good. i cant wait to see these guys in may with the best band ever Coheed and Cambria(shameles plug lol)
    aliceinnirvana
    This album is great. I agree with brobocop. For a long time I didn't quite get this band or their style, but after the initial shock wore off they became one of my favorites. This album really feels like they've reached the top of a large hill only to find that it plateaus into something beautiful.
    brobocop
    This review is pretty bad. This might be one of the best albums of the year in terms of originality and overall awesomeness. This album shows what Circa Survive was growing into and what is probably gonna stay their style. They've matured and they're writing for a mature audience.
    Thomasoman
    They're on Atlantic now so it really shouldn't surprise anyone that the album sounds really different...I did enjoy it, but in a different way then I normally enjoy Circa. It's definitely not my favorite.
    Silent Coheed
    Circa has a new album??? when did it come out I cant wait to see crica live on may 4th. and especially coheed (these two bands are awesome in different ways). i gotta check this new album out i bet its amazing this reviewer doesnt make any sense to me. but w.e ima put my own opinion.
    Rufiothebandito
    Awful review, stating that this album is "still the same band named we all know" every other sentence isn't saying anything. I personally thought the first 6 tracks were incredible, the rest is a bit too acoustic and mellow for my tastes, but it has been on my rotation pretty much every day since it's been out. Strange Terrain is one hell of an opener.
    LightxGrenade
    I've never liked Circa Survive, and its not for lack of trying. My best friend is a huge fan and I've listened to them plenty of times with him but it wasn't until he played this album that I got into them. Don't really know what it is, I guess you can argue they're a little more "to the point" and I guess that's what I like.