Juturna review by Circa Survive

• Released: Apr 19, 2005
Circa Survive: Juturna

The sound is something that you can get so sucked into immediately. The guitars create such a spacey atmosphere of sound that I can barely believe that guitars are making half the noises on this album. The rhythm section is tight and talented. People have called Circa Survive prog-punk. That is a pretty accurate title I suppose. They sound like they could be Thom Yorke from Radiohead's more coherent side project.

Anthony Green is one of those singers that people either love or hate in terms of his voice. I love him. He has one of those pretty high voices that just seems to work on every level for me. Lyrically, Juturna is pretty impressive as well. I think what Green does now is leaps and bounds over his singing and lyrics in Saosin. His vocals are more controlled instead of whiny. His lyrics are poetic and meaningful (not to bag on Saosin though. I love Saosin too).

There are not many bands I can compare these guys to. Honestly, when I first heard this album, there wasn't much else in my record collection that sounded like it. But if comparisons are needed, it sounds like Claudio from Coheed And Cambria getting sick of Coheed and listening to a lot of Radiohead and starting a radiohead influenced band with some dudes who just quit their hardcore band. That explanation sucks, but Juturna sure doesn't. Get it now for your ears sake.