Juturna Review

Circa Survive: Juturna
Release Date: Apr 19, 2005
Label: Equal Vision
Genres: Emo, Punk Revival, Alternative Pop/Rock, Post-Hardcore
The first noticeable quality about Circa Survive's Juturna debut is frontman Anthony Green's voice: a wailing, whiny instrument, which may just mark his band as the Darkness of the post-emo landscape.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 1,094
Juturna Reviewed by: Zorrobudday, on december 07, 2005

Sound: The sound is something that you can get so sucked into immediately. The guitars create such a spacey atmosphere of sound that I can barely believe that guitars are making half the noises on this album. The rhythm section is tight and talented. People have called Circa Survive prog-punk. That is a pretty accurate title I suppose. They sound like they could be Thom Yorke from Radiohead's more coherent side project. // 10

Lyrics: Anthony Green is one of those singers that people either love or hate in terms of his voice. I love him. He has one of those pretty high voices that just seems to work on every level for me. Lyrically, Juturna is pretty impressive as well. I think what Green does now is leaps and bounds over his singing and lyrics in Saosin. His vocals are more controlled instead of whiny. His lyrics are poetic and meaningful (not to bag on Saosin though. I love Saosin too). // 10

Overall Impression: There are not many bands I can compare these guys to. Honestly, when I first heard this album, there wasn't much else in my record collection that sounded like it. But if comparisons are needed, it sounds like Claudio from Coheed And Cambria getting sick of Coheed and listening to a lot of Radiohead and starting a radiohead influenced band with some dudes who just quit their hardcore band. That explanation sucks, but Juturna sure doesn't. Get it now for your ears sake. // 10

Juturna Reviewed by: Zamboni, on april 05, 2006

Sound: Circa Survive, consisting of members from Saosin and This Day Forward, combine elements of Experimental and Progressive rock to form an intriguing post-hardcore experimental sound. With interlaced, subtley intricate guitar lines, amazing syncopated drums, driving bass lines, and a piercing lead vocalist, this band personifies the experimental-hardcore scene beautifully. The songs often utilize braintingling time signature changes and great syncopation, so look for that on your first few listens. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, while straightforward upon first glance, have very provocative meanings, and are sung with a voice to be envied by many potential "high" vocalists. The strange lyrics fit quite nicely with the equally strange tonal moods and settings. A good combination of lyrics and voice. // 8

Overall Impression: Being a very unique band with unique sounds and abilities, this album is quite literally beyond comparison. It is very "out there" music-wise, but is always tied together with the rock and indie feel you get from most songs. The drummmer, Steve Clifford, may be the next big splash in the drumming world, so I'd watch for that guys name. The drums are a large part of this band, and it contributes to the overall feel of this group and style of music. // 9

Juturna Reviewed by: spencerwcp, on may 15, 2006

Sound: Circa Survive sound is simply amazing, they know what they are doing, they know what they want to sound like and they go for that sound. In this album they got the sound that I think they wanted. These guys used a lot of delays for this sound, with a bass line that stands out, but not to the extent that it makes them sound like some shitty metal band. These vocals go perfectly in a pulsating vibe with these guitars. // 9

Lyrics: Well, these lyrics are very good. Anthony Green has the lyrics that are deeped than a bottomless pit. From the lyrics at the beginning of 'In Fear And Faith' Can we last through the winter/the water is starting to freeze, to the don't say a word/don't be greatful in the opening track 'Holding someones hair back' Anthony Green has one of the most unique voices in music right now, and he sings great, with stupdendous range. // 10

Overall Impression: This, is Circa Survives debut album, the next album is gonna have to be wonderful to be better than this. My personal favorites are 'In Fear and Faith and 'Wish Resign' other good songs are 'Stop The F--king Car' and 'Oh Hello' The only song I don't like too much is track 10 or 'Always getting what you want' its not too appealing to me but thats the only song I don't like, if this was stolen I would buy it again. // 10

Juturna Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2006

Sound: The first thing anyone notice's when they listen to Juturna is Anthony Green's sensationaly high vocals. The first time I listened I was taken in by his voice. The guitar work is fanstatic, in an age where power chords seem to dominate most of music they have brought back guitar when you use chords and it really shows. "In Fear And Faith" is the best song I've heard in probably a year, it is so unique with a quite like intro into the powerful chorus. "Act Appaled" and "Stop The F--kin' Car" are two other songs which Green's vocals and the guitar sound explode. Probably the best song drum wise is Oh Hello, there is a fanstastic drum intro. // 10

Lyrics: I ceneter alot of focus on lyrics when I listen to a new band to ee what there really about and if there in music for the money aka crappy lyrics or really do care about what they right. Anthony Green not only care's but has wrote some great lyrics on Juturna. Each song seems to be its own story and from the start to the finish of the cd you seems like your on a journey with the cd. Green has an unusually high voice for a male but has great vocal range and it goes along grea with the music. He use's a whinny voice in parts which really enhance's songs like Wish Resign, The Great Golden Boy, and We're All Thieves. // 10

Overall Impression: This band has no comparison. With a real gap today in really good rock music Circa is one of the bands that is going to fix that. They are so different and have created such a masterpiece of a album it makes you wonder how much better they can go with their next. My favorite thing about Circa is the way they blended the guitar in with Greens voice. When I bought this album all anyone told me was Cicra is amazing. After listening to it I completly agree. By it you'll be blown away. // 10

Comments