On Letting Go review by Circa Survive

• Released: May 29, 2007
Circa Survive: On Letting Go

The sound of this album is rather trippy, as a whole. The guitar is very ambient, the drums fit into the style perfectly, and I'll describe the vocals when I get there, since they seem to be the principal part of this band. It is pleasing to the ear. This album is straight-up art rock. I can't think of anything else to describe them. There are very few instrumental parts, so it's rather hard to review the ones that are there. To sum it up, Anthony Green needs to let everyone else in the band shine, not that it's exactly a liability for this band. Overall, very good, but could be a lot more innovative.

The lyrics don't make any sense. You can't really help but feel like there's some secret society and they're telling you all of its inside jokes that aren't funny unless you were there. The lyrics are beautiful, but they don't get any point across, and I'm not sure if they were supposed to. They sound great with the music and with Anthony's voice, however. The vocals. Anthony Green is almost a perfect vocalist. I can't say perfect, because he doesn't have any vibrato, but he's as good as perfect, and the lack of incoherent screaming is always nice.

I can think of plenty of bands that are better than Circa Survive instrumentally. However, vocally, there can't possibly too many people who are superior. If you like Anthony Green's vocals, you should listen to Chiodos (that is, unless you absolutely detest screaming; whether people like it or not, Craig and Anthony do sound alike). Surprisingly, my favorite song from this record is "Mandala". That song is a perfect mix of cool beats and trippy vocals. I don't really hate anything about this record, and it's already on my computer. To be honest, I can't believe no one has reviewed this yet.

J_truant
    Junesongtrigger
    This band is incredible, it is insane how good they sound considering it is only their second album.
    salmarnirecho
    It's a good CD, and I agree about them lyrically. Anthony Green is exceptionally cryptic in his lyrics. I'm sure there is a point/message, but his diction is very vague. This is still a good CD, and I've heard that many of the songs on this album were written about stories in the New Testament. If this is true, I'd have to say that it doesn't seem like Green particularly likes much of what the New Testament is about. I'd say my favorite songs are "Travel Hymn" and "Kicking Your Crosses Down".
    yadiraisthebest
    Craig and Anthony don't sound alike. maybe because they both have high pitched voices, but other than that, they sound nothing alike. On Letting Go does have a message, and a point.. if you would actually listen to the lyrics.. or maybe even the album title.. On letting go to me, means that you're letting go of the past, and just looking into the future.. and Circa is kind of about outliving a time period, how everybody wants to have something more, which is pretty much what their name, Circa Survive means. Juturna also has the same vibe because Juturna is a mythological spring of life, from greek mythology, and it has a lot to do with starting over. it's just about letting go.. the title is pretty much self-explanatory.. to me, the lyrics do have a message, maybe some of you are just close minded and can't see that.. haa, well take the actual song On Letting Go for instince.. since there's been a lot of stuff saying that this cd is related to the New Testament.. I think it's sort of about Anthony and his relationship with his Mother.. This is how I see religion fitting around this cd. I think the symbolism and metaphors used throughout this cd are towards the confusion that sets in when you turn your back to the truth to blindly follow a belief..."all i wanted to be was one of your children"...It's almost like a call to a God that they now know isnt there....And this whole cd is On letting go of their traditional beliefs of how they were brought up.... Just my view of it. And Anthony not letting the rest of the band shine, I find to be complete bullshit.. since, well, most of us know Anthony is by far the best looking in the band... the fans kind of focus on him more, so if the rest of the band aren't really getting their chance to shine, it's most certainly not anthony's fault. that comes with any band.. people usually look at the vocalist more..
    tralala13
    J_truant wrote: I am completely in love with this album. Just on the first day I got it I must have gone through it at least 20 times. Being a guitarist I know it doesn't have that luxury of being technical or complicated guitar wise, but we should all know that being technical has it's own place and when misused can make anything sound bad. Each song just has a sense of being together and complete, which makes the album as a whole sound complete. I almost want to say that this is a perfect album. Nothing was overdone and nothing seems to be overthought. Everything is just right.
    I am a new fan. I thought Juturna was kind of boring, but this album actually surprised me, and I thought it was genuinely good. However, I did notice that the guitarists could work a little on their skills, not that it's a bad thing. I still like Chiodos more.