On Letting Go review by Circa Survive

• Released: May 29, 2007
Circa Survive: On Letting Go

So I've heard a lot of hype about this band recently. It got to a point where I decided to just buy the damn CD without even listening to it (twelve dollars after my FYI Membership pass). I wasn't sure what to expect, so I was of course blown away by what I heard. Circa Survive is an amazing, experimental blend of rock with one of the spaciest, most calming sound I've heard in a while. I haven't felt so free and at peace since I first heard Something Corporate's album "North", only the vocals are much better. There are a lot of ambient guitar riffs and effects that softly carry you through the album effortlessly.

In my view, this is the only point at which this album falters, if only just a little. I've had the disc for about a day, I've listened to it about seven times over already, and after a bit, the songs begin to blend together due to the fact that the vocals by Anthony Green don't really differ too much. The man has insane range; at first listen, I was convinced it was a girl. But as far as vocal rhythym goes, it barely changes from track to track. This helps with the calming atmosphere of the album, but it leaves a bit to be desired. I feel as though you could take the vocals from one song and lay them over another song, and no one would notice. I've only been able to pick out a few lyrics, but the ones I have are incredible; my favorite line would definitely by from "In the Morning and Amazing ": "This is wrong/This is wrong/And I cannot sleep without the radio on/And how could anyone."

You can't go wrong with this album, unless you're someone obsessed with metal, who dresses in those giant, black Hot Topic pants covered in chains just to prove that you have a big penis. Songs that stand out include "In The Morning and Amazing", "The Difference Between Medicine and Poison Is In The Dose", "On Letting Go", and "Your Friends Are Gone". I would definitely buy this album again if it were lost or stolen. Circa Survive lives up to and even surpasses the hype.

LuDo3234
    The difference between medicine and poison is in the dose... all I'm saying...
    longhornchad200
    Juturna is about eternal sunshine of the spotless mind... If you've seen the movie it's pretty obvious. It can even be synched up to the movie.
    1h81337
    yadiraisthebest, their name was chosen because it "sounded nice" when equal vision sign them, so they just went out on an emotional feel
    Infamou$17
    Anthony and Craig sound alike? The f**k?? Craig sounds like he has the flu and, in screaming, strep throat. Anthony >>>>> Craig
    Infamou$17
    tralala13 wrote: I am a new fan. I thought Juturna was kind of boring, but this album actually surprised me, and I thought it was genuinely good. However, I did notice that the guitarists could work a little on their skills, not that it's a bad thing. I still like Chiodos more.
    Trust me, if Brendan and Colin really wanted to shred, they could. They hold back sometimes because they know that if they let loose it would kill the sound. They pulled it off perfectly. If you want the same surreal, spacey sound with two or three of the greatest f*cking guitar solos known to man, and still want to hear Anthony, go listen to the album "Tiger & the Duke" by The Sound of Animals Fighting
    longhornchad200
    Circa Survive just takes me away to this other world almost... It gives me this haunting feeling that I'm alone in a place that was long forgotten by everyone else. Most people don't even know it exists, and your all alone there, trying to find a way out... but you don't wanna leave. It's weird to describe but that's always the feeling they've given me. Haha it's specific but odd.
    longhornchad200
    And tralala13 ummm I don't see how you don't think it wasn't innovative... The fact that they have a generic sound that no one can recreate in itself is an innovation compared to most music floating around.
    Spraggo
    I don't think Anthony tries to outshine the rest of the band. He's the singer; he's naturally outgoing. I think his part is imperative in making the otherwise chaotic sound tangible to the listener. I personally think these guitarists in tandem have THE most cutting-edge/unique sound out there right now.