On Letting Go Review

Circa Survive: On Letting Go
Release Date: May 29, 2007
Label: Equal Vision
Genres: Emo, Alternative Pop/Rock
The sound of this album is rather trippy, as a whole. The guitar is very ambient, the drums fit into the style perfectly.
 Lyrics: 9.2
On Letting Go Reviewed by: H_ngm_n, on june 11, 2007

Sound: On their latest CD Circa Survive really shows their true colors, at times it sounds like one big jam session, but then when you listen really closely you can hear how everything is just melted together to make real music. The guitarists are just amazing, the way they work with one another is borderline telepathic, they sound awesome together, On Letting Go is a good track to listen to in order to hear this. The drummer also sheds new light on his talent, I think he gets some god-given talent from his huge beard, Living Together shows off the drummer. The bass player does really cool things to add to the music over all, I haven't heard anything overly impressive from him, but The Greatest Lie has a cool bass run. // 9

Lyrics: It's Anthony Green, need I say more? His lyrics this time around are some of the best he's ever written. On Letting Go, Semi-Constuctive Criticism, Your Friends Are Gone, and Travel Hym all show off his impressive writing skills. His voice never seems to stand out from the music, it sounds like another intrument in the background, he places it in the mix perfectly, no one does it better than him. His voice may take a while for someone whose never heard the band to listen too, but he really is amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this CD about two weeks after I bought the new Fall of Troy CD, and the new From Autumn to Ashes CD, I've listened to this more already than both those CD's together, it truly is some of the greatest music I've heard in a long time, you can tell they have their hearts in it, and it shows, they are simply breathtaking, if you've never heard Circa Survive, you need too. I love everything about this album and hate nothing, and if it were stolen, I'd buy it again. // 10

On Letting Go Reviewed by: tralala13, on june 04, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album is rather trippy, as a whole. The guitar is very ambient, the drums fit into the style perfectly, and I'll describe the vocals when I get there, since they seem to be the principal part of this band. It is pleasing to the ear. This album is straight-up art rock. I can't think of anything else to describe them. There are very few instrumental parts, so it's rather hard to review the ones that are there. To sum it up, Anthony Green needs to let everyone else in the band shine, not that it's exactly a liability for this band. Overall, very good, but could be a lot more innovative. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics don't make any sense. You can't really help but feel like there's some secret society and they're telling you all of its inside jokes that aren't funny unless you were there. The lyrics are beautiful, but they don't get any point across, and I'm not sure if they were supposed to. They sound great with the music and with Anthony's voice, however. The vocals. Anthony Green is almost a perfect vocalist. I can't say perfect, because he doesn't have any vibrato, but he's as good as perfect, and the lack of incoherent screaming is always nice. // 8

Overall Impression: I can think of plenty of bands that are better than Circa Survive instrumentally. However, vocally, there can't possibly too many people who are superior. If you like Anthony Green's vocals, you should listen to Chiodos (that is, unless you absolutely detest screaming; whether people like it or not, Craig and Anthony do sound alike). Surprisingly, my favorite song from this record is "Mandala". That song is a perfect mix of cool beats and trippy vocals. I don't really hate anything about this record, and it's already on my computer. To be honest, I can't believe no one has reviewed this yet. // 9

On Letting Go Reviewed by: hmmmdom, on june 11, 2007

Sound: With this album, Circa Survive have moved on from Juturna and really set out to push the boundaries further. The guitar work is very ambient and dreamy on some songs but there are some nice riffs like in the first track, Living Together, where the riff with the bend is the hook of the song. Generally, the playing is solid and gives a great backdrop for Anthony Green to really standout on the record. Anthony Green has improved his vocals from the last album and really soars above the guitars and it is his singing that really marks the record as a keeper because whether you are a diehard Ant Green fan to someone new to Circa Survive, the vocal work will blow you away. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have again improved since the Juturna days. Although some songs can have rather cryptic lyrics, they are beautiful non the less. This coupled with Anthony Green's soaring voice just brings the songs to life with every single syllable ringing loud and clear. // 9

Overall Impression: Initially, this album may not jump out at you due the ambient sounds and the lack of an obvious single in my opinion but after listening through a few times, it is clear that it is a dramatic improvement upon Juturna, which was already a very good album. Circa Survive have clearly refined their sound and pushed the boundaries to create some beautiful songs. Finally, without a shadow of a doubt, it is Anthony Green's singing that just brings the whole album to life. This ethereal album is a must have for anyone who liked Juturna, Anthony Green fans and music lover alike. // 10

On Letting Go Reviewed by: lllostmotelll, on june 19, 2007

Sound: 'On Letting Go', Circa Survive's sophomore effort sounds more like they've been doing this for ages. They really know their sound, and how to keep it interesting throughout the entire course of the album. The drummer Steve Clifford is very tech throughout the entire album, and he does it without sounding like he's trying too hard. The guitars, although hard to follow at times and very ambient (sometimes so soft, you can't even hear one or either of them), but they keep the album interesting throughout. They are really easy to immerse yourself in the almost ethereal sound they produce on every track. Nick Beard's bass skills don't really stand out much, but if you listen closely, a few of his licks jump out, especially in 'Kicking Your Crosses Down', where a very simple line is very powerful throughout the entire song. // 10

Lyrics: Anthony Green was stellar on 'Juturna' and he is even more so with 'On Letting Go'. His voice with Saosin was a little raspy and distressed, and with the formation of Circa Survive, Anthony was able to showcase his voice as something that is ultimately better according to his style. Standout songs on 'On Letting Go' are 'In The Morning And Amazing', 'Travel Hymn', and the album's title track. Anthony shines in every song, but particularly in the aformentioned, and especially in 'Your Friends Are Gone', the album's powerful closing track. Once again though, his lyrics are very vague and often times confusing to the less analytical listener. However, I've always thought to myself, sometimes music is to enjoy, not to pick apart each verse and line to concretely interpret exactly what the lyricist was writing about. I think Anthony would agree. He wants to write about his personal life and his feelings without specifically saying "this happened, and then this happened." // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, all of the instruments in the band collectively display an effective sound that works well for the overall feel the band had previously achieved with 'Juturna'. No hidden epic track this time, but the final song is powerful with "And all your friends were wrong, nobody cares," as the last lyric, and the final note, with just enough dynamic to leave the listener with a satisfied feeling. I was hoping Circa Survive would release 'On Letting Go' with a similar feel to their previous effort of 'Juturna', and I couldn't have been more pleased. // 10

On Letting Go Reviewed by: Fatally Jon, on september 08, 2007

Sound: So I've heard a lot of hype about this band recently. It got to a point where I decided to just buy the damn CD without even listening to it (twelve dollars after my FYI Membership pass). I wasn't sure what to expect, so I was of course blown away by what I heard. Circa Survive is an amazing, experimental blend of rock with one of the spaciest, most calming sound I've heard in a while. I haven't felt so free and at peace since I first heard Something Corporate's album "North", only the vocals are much better. There are a lot of ambient guitar riffs and effects that softly carry you through the album effortlessly. // 10

Lyrics: In my view, this is the only point at which this album falters, if only just a little. I've had the disc for about a day, I've listened to it about seven times over already, and after a bit, the songs begin to blend together due to the fact that the vocals by Anthony Green don't really differ too much. The man has insane range; at first listen, I was convinced it was a girl. But as far as vocal rhythym goes, it barely changes from track to track. This helps with the calming atmosphere of the album, but it leaves a bit to be desired. I feel as though you could take the vocals from one song and lay them over another song, and no one would notice. I've only been able to pick out a few lyrics, but the ones I have are incredible; my favorite line would definitely by from "In the Morning and Amazing ": "This is wrong/This is wrong/And I cannot sleep without the radio on/And how could anyone." // 9

Overall Impression: You can't go wrong with this album, unless you're someone obsessed with metal, who dresses in those giant, black Hot Topic pants covered in chains just to prove that you have a big penis. Songs that stand out include "In The Morning and Amazing", "The Difference Between Medicine and Poison Is In The Dose", "On Letting Go", and "Your Friends Are Gone". I would definitely buy this album again if it were lost or stolen. Circa Survive lives up to and even surpasses the hype. // 10

Comments