Artifacts In Motion review by Circle of Contempt

• Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Circle of Contempt: Artifacts In Motion

Circle of contempt is a band destined to grow big within the ranks of the youth. For the many of us who looks for bands which style cannot be summed up in one sentence, this is the least thing we want to get involved with. Circle of contempt is a mix of technical breakdowns, melody, occasional synths and no songstructures at all. Such randomness this CD contains can tear on your nerves as one part floats over to the next without you having the chance to remember a single hook. Of course, there are always people who are going to favorite this cd, and in that case, go ahead. But don't expect me to follow. The cd starts decent enough, as you haven`t grown tired of the songwriting yet. "Nothing imminent" mix the brutality with a clever use of melody, and ends with a rather difficult solo. On the title track, you may already get frustrated over the samey writing style, and on "Concealed", it goes wrong. The nearly only clean vocals you can witness through the whole CD is drenched with autotune, and it really gets downhill from there. "C.O.C" starts promising but soon the random breakdowns return. "Prelude for the implication" is a breather in which the band finally stray from the generic formula. But it says a lot that one of the least boring tracks of the album is an interlude. The final track, "Scour the sharpside" is a fairly ok track, in which the vocalist have discovered the possibility of actually singing without autotune. I might actually just listen to that song again some time.

The lyrics are standard procedure, about fighting against corrupt goverments and their everyday corruption. As I mentioned, the autotune on the clean vocals really drags down the impression, and the growled vocals are pretty much to styles repeated through the whole cd. After a while, you stop noticing the vocals as they don`t add to the compositions most of the time. Repeating a sentence a thousand times is not a great idea either.

This CD will have them kids bouncing the dancefloors like frantic lemures, but it has nothing to offer to us people who didn`t think much of the metalcore style in the first place. Talented bunch of guys when it comes to control of their instruments, and bravo for them being able to memorize this madness and play it live. Songs to check out (if you really have to) are "Color lines", "nothing imminent" and "Scour the sharpside". These bored me the least. If I lost this CD I would have forgotten it as fast as the songs featured in it.

sexclamation
    lesken100 needs to learn proper grammar before he posts his opinions in review format. This band isn't metalcore either. It's deathcore/djent which the constant "breakdowns" that you're referring to are related to. Honestly this album was well done for a debut and I'm sure they growing as musicians. @EpiExplorer : Veil of Maya is really not as good as you make them out to be. If I recall correctly, A Common Man's Collapse was boring, run of the mill, badly produced, breakdowns with some cool parts. That album was epitome of generic. It wasn't until [id] came out that they actually got interesting. Also, this band really sounds nothing like them at all really except, maybe, the polyrhythms used. If we're talking about polyrhythms then you could say Veil of Maya copied off of Meshuggah, or any jazz artist, or tribal music. So, in conclusion, this band doesn't sound like Veil of Maya and Veil of Maya only became somewhat different from the rest of the deathcore/djent pack on [id].