As The Roots Undo review by Circle Takes the Square

• Released: Jan 6, 2004
Circle Takes the Square: As The Roots Undo

Circle Takes The Square have one of the most unique sounds I've heard in a while. A genre I'd like to call Chaotic Emo, whatever you want to interperet that as is up to you. A mixture of noise, emotion, and gender complementing vocals, Circle Takes The Square creates a sound not heard in the music business lately. Circle Takes The Square take a lot of influence from other Chaotic Emo bands such as Pg. 99, Saetia, and it definitely shows. Whether you like the type of music they make, it is definitely worth checking out. Give them a chance.

The lyrics on this album are outsanding. Some of the best lyrics I've ever seen. You can tell the songwriters of Circle Takes The Square are incredibly intelligent and witty people, because half of the lyrics I don't understand/comprehend. The album revolves around the premise of a man who wants to commit suicide, but when he jumps off of a building to do so, he regrets it, but it's too late. When he arrives at heaven, he realizes it's not all it's hyped up to be. God is very demanding and controlling over the people there. The man then devises a plan to overthrow God, in order to make heaven peaceful. The plan is succesful but what happens? The man becomes just like God, controlling and ironically quite devilish.

Comparing Circle Takes The Square to other artists is pretty hard but you can put them up against Pg. 99, Saetia, City Of Catepillar, and other Chaotic Emo/Screamo bands. The most impressive tracks on this album are probably "In The Nervous Light Of Sunday", "Crowquill", and "Same Shade As Concrete", although the entire album is a gem. I love the emotion and thought behind the album. The songs on this album are (on average) around 6-7 minutes long, but that doesn't even bother me because they are so great. There's nothing I hate about this album to be completely honest. If this album were stolen I would for sure buy another copy. This album will definitely go down as one of the best to ever be made in the genre.

blinkoneeighty2
    there needs to be more CTTS tabs here... they are my favorite band in the world...and no they are not "chaotic emo"...chaotic,yes, but emo? nah
    FireandFlames
    I loved this album. I love how the lyrics unfold from the very beginning with the character pondering life and its true meaning, making it to heaven to see it's not what it's all made out to be, overthrowing "god", and becoming the very thing he overthrew. Great guitar tracks as well.
    foksinsoks
    I found this band while on the Robotic Empire MySpace, and I listened to them because I like the name. Best choice I ever made. The interchanging vocals are really cool, especially on Kill The Switch. The post-rock influence is really cool too.
    Dregen
    Some of the lyrics are 'emo', but as in genre, no. Anyways, I found this band while looking through some bands to listen to. When I listened to Kill The Switch on their MySpace, it felt awkward to listen to, but the clean sections were enough to keep me listening. After a couple more listens, I realized the genius of this band. The vocal interplay, the buildups, the chaos... It all blends very well together. I could go on, but I'm gonna stop. It might take a few istens, but I think it's worth the listen. I'll even go to say it's better than BTBAM's Colors.
    sporkface
    My favorite album atm . Its amazing how deep theyre lyrics are I feel like I actualy learn something about life.
    roeli
    "I would really love to see this band get into the mainstream." no, just let them be underground =]