Bring Me Your Love review by City and Colour

• Released: Feb 11, 2008
City and Colour: Bring Me Your Love

Dallas Green (of alexisonfire fame) shines on another one of his excellent solo albums but in a different light this time. While the basic premise of City and Colour is a man and his guitar, Dallas manages to bring more instruments and a different sound from his debut album Sometimes. On Bring Me Your Love the sound is much more raw than the polished Sometimes. highly their natural bpolished Sometimes, the (mostly acoustic) guitars can be heard in eauty. What is different this time is the extra emphasis on other instruments. Dallas invites a drummer, plays harmonica, and one song features what seems to be a choir. While all of this makes the sound a little less intimate than on Sometimes, I can't say that I loved all of it but it does complement him on some songs. As I said before the sound is rawer (on some songs guitar work sounds like it's just being recorded straight through a mic which isn't bad) but there are some very nice touches and effects added. While I found myself longing for his old sound on certain songs, the album has certainly grown on me and I haven't been able to put it down.

On this album you can instantly recognize Dallas's signature piercing vocals that in my opinion counter the rawer feel of this album very well. Though on some songs (for example Confessions) he decides to sing in what seems to be a lower register and it sounds like he is trying too hard and just doesn't fit too well (as a side note for those of you that have his live album, Confessions isn't nearly as powerful on this album). On most songs he generously utilizes reverb which adds a very nice touch. This time around the lyrics are much more about Dallas himself, his conflicts, his troubles within himself, and his views on life. In another interesting move Dallas invites Gordon Downie (of Tragically Hip fame) to sing on one of his songs (Sleeping Sickness) which was one of the more gripping songs on the album. Overall the sound is more of the same (which in this case is a good thing) and the content is unique and always emotionally powerful.

It's almost not fair to compare this album to Sometimes as they are very similar yet so different. Both are excellent albums and must haves for any Dallas Green fan. While this album has its definite high points it also has some ehh alright songs. The definite highlights of the album are The Girl, Body in a Box, and Sleeping Sickness, but there aren't any "bad" songs (Constant Knot comes close though). A great album and I am looking forward to his next project.

Shib
    Metalhead45 wrote: Sometimes was definetaly a better album. The lyrics on BMYL are good, but slightly bland. As is some of the guitar work. Much of the chords played are Gs and Ds. Also, the entire CD is pretty much played in standard with a capo here and there on the 2nd or third fret. However, it is a soothing, enjoyable listen, and I thoroughly enjoyed the CD. But overall Sometimes kicked its ass. Both lyrically and theoretically, because his tunings and words on the first CD were genius. Godd, but not much compared to Sometimes.
    I much prefer bring me your love.. its more.... catchy? I duno.. it just sounds better imho..
    Metalhead45
    Alibi:Destroyed
    I feel like BMYL is better than Sometimes. I mean he's obviosly grown and matured as a musician and person and I think this album reflects that. Sometimes was really good but most of the songs were about break ups and that's just really not my thing. I just feel the lyrics on BMYL were alot better in the sense that the world doesn't need any more break up songs. He just kind of puts life in perspective.
    Wicky_7
    sometimes is definetly more intimate and heartfelt and emotional but this song is just overall a classic and just solid - i gave it a 10
    jmetalf
    wow spell check dude. and just to clear things up he spent a lot more time on bring me your love than sometimes. the only reason sometimes sounds so polished it because he's so damn talented and recording everything so good in the 2 days that he recorded it.
    Metal_Hed_23
    This (is) a (very) good (album)(.) I (would recommend) purchasing (it.) (you use way too many parenthesis) ()()()()()
    Caboose911
    bad review but the album is incredible! great acoustic tracks. i love the whole damn thing. i thought the rest of the band may take away from his acoustic songs but it actually added to it in most songs
    juniorfr3ak
    Gotta be honest, I found this CD to be really boring, maybe it's not quite my thing.