Sometimes review by City and Colour

• Released: Nov 1, 2005
City and Colour: Sometimes

This is Dallas Green's debut LP. For those of you who don't know, and there are probably many, Dallas is the guitarist for Alexisonfire, and provides the singing, not screaming, for them. This, however contains no traces of electric guitar, as it is an entirely acoustic record. The sound is often slow, with the occasional piano in the background, or a light drum beat that goes along well with the music. The sound is extremely good for being recorded in one of Dallas' friend's basement.

The lyrics on this record are amazing. They go great with the music rhythm-wise, and they most often sound like they belong with the music. The songs are often four to six minutes in length, and there is a lot of original verses in the songs, not just the typical "verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, repeat" formula you see in so much music these days by bands who try to make songs five minutes and longer. Anyone who listens to Alexisonfire knows that Dallas has an amazing voice. I had always wanted to hear a Dallas' solo record, because he has such a good voice.

I love this album. I know I've sounded biased during this whole review, but here is where I get to air out the very few things I dislike about this album. Sometimes I feel it is a bit too quiet, and yearn for the throaty singing heard in Alexisonfire, and some of the great guitar work that he does on electric. And sometimes (not very often, though), I find myself wanting a song to get through so I can listen to another song after it, because I like the next song better, but the song I want to finish is about five minutes in length, and it takes a while to get to the next song. Anyways, that's about the only things I dislike about the album. My favourite tracks are "Save Your Scissors," "Comin' Home" and "Sometimes (I Wish)." If this were stolen/lost, I would most definitely buy it again, because it's truly amazing album. If you want something easy to listen to, or want an acoustic album to listen to, I suggest this record.