Carver City review by CKY

• Released: May 19, 2009
CKY: Carver City

CKY almost didn't make it long enough to allow Carver City see the light of day. Internal issues plagued the writing and recording process and caused the band to put itself on hiatus, but that's all polluted water under the bridge and Carver City was eventually completed and is now upon us and looking forward is really all that matters. Carver City is one of those albums that is nearly impossible to classify; it's certainly not metal, yet metalheads are fans of the band. It's not alternative, in the traditional sense, but it's not middle-of-the-road radio rock, either. Perhaps their enigma status is to CKY's credit, even if they aren't doing it on purpose. Album opener Hellions on Parade is a chunky, guitar-launched rocker, while A#1 Roller Rager vacillates between broody and raging. There's a lot of different twists and turns, in terms of mood and tempo, on Carver City, which prevents the listener from ever getting bored or from knowing what's going to come next.

Carver City is a concept album concerning a dark, summer vacation town where everything isn't what it seems. The band certainly takes the term and the idea of a concept album quite literally in the detailed lyrics, which the diehards will spend time pouring over to pull some meaning and understanding of the linking factors and the concept itself. And She Never Returned and The Boardwalk Body function as stories moreso than just your average songs, with lots of little details that will peak the listeners' interest. The concept is enticing enough to kidnap your attention and the subsequent execution of the stories will hold it, since the concept isn't quite so esoteric or hard to grasp. After all, it's a rock album, isn't it? CKY make the concept album appealing to the thinking man and the average Joe.

Carver City won't do much to clear up some of the anomalies that remain present in CKY and their music. There's a mingling of hard rock and alternative rock on most of the songs and that allows the band to appeal to a wide, diverse cross-section of subversive rockers and skate punks who want something new, different and exciting than what's currently blasting on the radio. It's not as polarizing as it may seem, since CKY appear to attract a fair amount of haters to coincide with their over-the-top, incredibly zealot fans. Overall, left-of-center rock is the beating heart of Carver City.

hellview_666
    I resent being called an 'over-the-top, zealot fan'. CKY are a genuinely good band technically and lyrically and I never understand why haters hate on them. A simple answer would be "if you don't like, don't listen"....hmmmm, kids today...always wanting to pick a fight. Nice fair review however...pity about the 'fan base' comments at the end (it has nothing to do with the music/album).
    BaronVonGarske
    Pretty good album, easy to listen to all the way through without skipping anything. Hellions on Parade may be my new favorite CKY song, and A #1 Roller Rager is very different but I can't stop listening to it. I'd say it gets a solid 9/10
    Shlecht
    umm EVERY one should pick this up. so damn good. ive been waiting for this for years and cky is the only band ive been in love with and passionate about for 7 years now. ...And She Never Returned, The Boardwalk Body, and A#1 Roller Rager are my favorites. SO f*cking good.
    White-Trash Wil
    ive been a fan of CKY for a while now and i cant wait to pick this one up, after hearing a couple of the songs(Hellions on Parade, ...And She Never Returned and Rats in the Infirmary) i have to get this album.
    HotDogs1
    i dont recommend the special edition, fisherman's wharf are just the groundhog sessions with chad producing them, doubled up on trauma is OK i guess and stripped your speech is really boring, no melody and no real guitar riff just blahh its along the lines of the album version of to all of you, if you like the album version then you'll probably like the special edition.
    HotDogs1
    i dont recommend the special edition, half of the bonus tracks are groundhog sessions with chad producing them, doubled up on trauma is OK and stripped your speech is kind of bland....
    morphfrusciante
    unique as always! amazing record...listend to it like a billion times already, loved it right away from the first listen... its ri-goddamn-diculously good
    BoxCarMothra
    Haven't listened to this yet, hopefully i get a chance to soon. Does the album cover remind anyone else of "The Stand" comics?
    Thienskater
    I just picked this album up (Special Edition) a couple hours ago, just ripped it to my computer and i'm listening to it right now. Sounds good so far.
    mo4form
    This looks new and interesting. An Alternative to an Alternative band.
    Elsammio99
    as for the the fanbase, CKY have encouraged an incredibly strong following based around their admirable commitment to responding to literally thousands of their questions. I think every band who works so hard for its fans gets the odd over attached 14 year old using the internet to flame 'haters', and i can understand why people think all of CKY's fans must be the same way because of some implied adoration of Bam Margera's lifestyle and such but these guys deserve a chance because theyre one of the best kept secrets in alternative music today
    Elsammio99
    Its a good effort no doubt but one of the things that got me into the kind of heavier music scene way back when was CKY's truly incredible riffage (not too simple, not over complicated) married to a uniquely dark and melodic musical direction. In my opinion the two most recent albums have lost the immediacy of Vol1 and IDR, there just isnt the feeling that every song is a killer unique cut anymore. Im a huge fan of the band nonetheless and i wish em only the best but you have to wonder if theyll ever hit the heights of popularity they deserve to when they allow Bam Margera to direct some sub par video efforts, not to mention picking the wrong singles (Familiar Realm/ A1 Roller Rager are good songs but hardly lead material)
    happytimeharry
    I think Carver City might actually be my favorite CKY album to date. There is just nothing better than driving around with your windows down blasting Hellions on Parade.
    CoF-Dean
    What does the "over-thetop-, incredibly zealot fans" have to do with the music? this is a review of the ALBUM! not the fan base. you dont critisize a radiohead or beates album because they have a large fan base so why do it here on topic, i bought this cd but left it at my mates house so havent yet listened to it
    david_safc
    Album of the year, without a doubt. If you haven't bought it already, you really should!
    Chaingarden
    It was a passing comment, Jesus. You guys want a tissue? I love how those comments proved CKY fans over-the-top and zealot [sic ] :-P They're a pretty cool band. I'll check the album out and hope it brings something new to the table (you know, the completely stagnant popular rock table.)
    PoorStavi
    Listening to the album now and I must say that I am impressed. In my opinion, it's cKy's best work yet lol zealot
    hellview_666
    Ryan Nias wrote: What's great is that the user saying it's irrelevant has a username related to the band, and is obviously an over the top zealot fan. I kid, but the guy was making a point when he said it, he didn't alienate anyone or call them out. He mentoned the haters as well. He was stating that people seem to either love the band or hate them, so he at least had context.
    Haha. Thanks, Ryan It's just always nice to have at least some perspective...bands are there to love or, indeed, hate. I was a zealot in my early teens until I then thought "hang on....this isn't the be all and end all" - I matured. Just a pity I'm sorta stuck with this username; no-one'll take me seriously. Pity me lol
    Ryan Nias
    n00barmy
    I really like this album. I'd give it an 8.5. Soundwise it sounds somewhere between IDR and Answer. My favorites here are Imaginary Threats and Plagued By Images. CKY, in my opinion, is a band that always delivers and has one of the most original sounds I've ever heard. I can always tell it's CKY whether it's the ethereal vocals, water warp guitars or the incredibly catchy beat. Good times!
    hellview_666
    GiantRaven wrote: Comments about a crazed fan base are perfectly valid, these are people that go around threatening writers on websites because they gave a band a bad review...
    No, it's not valid at all - it was a bunch of people in said fan base that didn't have the maturity to just put up and shut up...it's certainly not a reason to alienate an entire fan base because of the actions of the few, and is most definitely not to be brought up in a review of an album! It's just bad writing to do so since that had nothing to do with the band but the morons who went and did it.
    GiantRaven
    Comments about a crazed fan base are perfectly valid, these are people that go around threatening writers on websites because they gave a band a bad review... On the case of the album though...I don't know...its good but it the general sound seems to lack clarity to me making it hard to get properly into...