CKY, Vol. 1 review by CKY

• Released: Jun 26, 2001
CKY: CKY, Vol. 1

The moment I heard 96 quite bitter beings, I just had to get this CD because I knew it wouldn't be a disappointment, and it wasn't. CKY has definitely got their unique sound well-put together that you can tell they put time and effort into this cd. The thing I like most about this CD is how it's sound is so raw compared to IDR and AACBF. What really caught my attention were Deron Miller's and Chad Ginsburg's guitar riffs and Jess Margera's drums. All of the songs sound different unlike how some band's songs all sound the same in one album. Basically the sound is eerie, unique, complex but melodic at the same time, and too awesome for anyone to ignore. If you like stuff like that, this CD is for you.

The lyrics are somewhat vague, but on some songs such as 'To All of You', they can be pretty deep. I love Deron Miller's voice. He's pretty versatile that he can have that yelling thing going on like in the beginning of "The Human Drive in Hi-Fi', or have that deep growling sound like in 'Rio Bravo', and yet have that soft mesmerizing voice like on 'Sara's Mask'. There isn't anything explicit about the lyrics except maybe for the song 'My Promiscuous Daughter', which is also a great sounding song by the way.

CKY definitely is it's own entity. When you hear their music, you'll immediately know it's CKY. I love the whole album but my favorite songs have got to be '96 qbb', 'Disengage the simulator' and 'Sara's Mask'. I would definitely buy it again if it got lost or stolen. This is a CD I just can't live without.