CKY, Vol. 1 review by CKY

• Released: Jun 26, 2001
CKY: CKY, Vol. 1

This album has a totally unique sound that I think metal and rock fans would both enjoy. I see them as a bridge between rock and metal but their sound being more unique that most rock or metal bands. Some say Groove Metal, Post-Grunge, Stoner Rock or Experimental, I just call it great hard rock music played by great hard rock musicians. I discovered these guys though the shopping cart skit on Jackass. I loved the song on the skit (96 Quite Bitter Beings), so I decided to look it up by typing 'Shopping carts jackass song' and I got CKY and I'm glad I found as I've gotten hours of enjoyment from listening to their music.

"Some people don't know, don't know what is wrong so they're knee deep, knee deep in sorrow." Those are the entire set of lyrics of the song Knee Deep and I can't make head or tail of them. The lyrics look great on paper but I can't seem to understand them. Deron Miller reminds me of a new James Hetfield as his voice reminds me of Hetfield sometimes but nevertheless Miller is a great singer whose voice definitely suits the music and may spook you out sometime.

I honestly can't compare this band to anyone else. They're heavy yet they play with synths and vocal effects. The songs are great but the most impressive are 96 Quite Bitter Beings, Rio Bravo, Lost In A Contraption and Knee Deep. I love everything on this album. If you listen to it the first time you won't be able to predict what style the next song will be. I have to note Jess Margeras drumming skills. I'm a drummer and he's probably my biggest influence. I find him the be one of the most inventive drummers out there. He doesn't stick the the standard beats, he decides to put Miller and Ginsberg to shame by owning the songs with his drumming.

Stuz
    this cd is awesome simple but good, hard to imagine that foreign objects actually was the pre-band of cky though