We Will Overcome review by Close Your Eyes

Close Your Eyes: We Will Overcome

Close Your Eyes isn't a band out to achieve anything new or groundbreaking with their music, Instead they have put out the message that, "As a band our desire is to give hope to the hopeless, give bread to the hungry, give love to the unloved, and give life to those who feel there is nothing left." Hailing from Abilene, Texas the Melodic Hardcore band Close Your Eyes is a self proclaimed Christian band that ensures there faith does not go unnoticed with there music. We Will Overcome is CYE's debut album with Victory Records and was released on February 16, 2010.

The lyrics on We Will Overcome are very straight forward and mostly revolve around positive aspects such as love, friends, and faith. One of my favorite lines is from Digging Graves and the line is, "They say the world is what i make of it. Why am i the only one that wants to see a change?" This line struck me because i think inside we all want to see change but not many of us are willing to change ourselves in order to see the change we want. The Lead singer (Shane Raymond) has a very impressionable voice.

Just like with any record there are indeed some flaws with We Will Overcome but minor ones, so overall its an extremely solid album. Stand out tracks would be, Song For The Broken, xChet Steadmanx, Digging Graves, Bitter Path, and Something Needs To Change. Falling into the hardcore genre, it's hard to say that any particular hardcore band can stand out upon it's own but yet CYE has begun to carve out their own niche within the music scene through their positive words, catchy melodies, and powerful instrumentals. 01. A Proclamation (3:53) 02. Friends Are Friends Forever (3:13) 03. xChet Steadmanx (3:21) 04. Digging Graves (2:48) 05. The Body (4:03) 06. Song for the Broken (4:09) 07. 17:20 (2:16) 08. Wake Up! (3:28) 09. Bitter Path (3:53) 10. Something Needs to Change (4:39) 11. Arms Raised (4:09)

mrshreddy
    Dimefromhell12
    Amuro Jay
    Dimefromhell12 wrote: ok, so i personally know these guys, i'm from merkel tx and CYE guitarist, Andrew, worked in a guitar store that i would always go into and just listen to him play. he's awesome, and the rest of the band is really awesome. i have seen like 5-6 of their shows and 2 since they got signed on victory records. im proud of them
    Pretty sweet.
    foster.getagrip
    mrshreddy wrote: hahahaha "close your eyes, We will overcome" If no one gets that ill be disappointed
    +1 hahahahahahaha
    brettdingo
    I didn't really care for them too much, their songs consist of the same formula. Didn't really keep me wanting more. The singer has a great growl, however.
    sleepofangels64