First Temple review by Closure in Moscow

• Released: May 5, 2009
Closure in Moscow: First Temple

First Temple is the debut album from one of Australia's finest musical groups, Closure in Moscow, and certainly an incredible show of musicianship and songwriting ability. I didn't expect to like these guys as much as I do, but this album definitely grew on me quick. There is a huge amount of talent throughout the band. If you're a guitarist, you'll definitely appreciate a vast amount of this record. Some of the stuff that the guitarists do blew me me away the first time I listened, and still impress me. Manny and Barrett are a perfect guitar duo. Their drummer, Beau is technical at times and simple at others, but definitely fit the music. Even the bassist, Brad, is talented and impresses me sometimes. Their singer, Chris DeCinque soars above at points and is incredible at what he does. They wrote the material back home in Australia but recorded this album in their home in the US, Portland, Oregon. Their music is progressive rock, but maintains catchiness and doesn't confuse listeners. These guys just seem like they have a lot of fun doing what they do and create great music. They're also some of the funniest guys I've ever seen (in videos and such) and Manny, their guitarist, is possibly one of the coolest guys I've ever met.

Their singer, Chris Decinque, has an incredible voice. Many times through this CD I was impressed at his ability to do basically anything. His range is very wide, going from deep lows to shimmering highs. He is also extremely intelligent and I've definitely learned a bunch of great words from reading their lyrics. Most of the songs are about love and sex, like most bands, but they're worded very well and you almost have to decipher certain passages to understand the full meaning of the song, but once you do, it dawns on you just how impressive the lyrics are. Manny also sings, and in this album does very high falsetto vocals, and they meld seamlessly with Chris' vocals. The patterns of the vocals and lyrics also amaze me sometimes.

Some have said they compare to The Mars Volta, which may be, but I don't see it. Another band that may compare to them is Envy on the Coast, but they're not nearly as technical or progressive, they just give off the same sound. This album is not too different from their EP, "The Penance and the Patience." TPATP has the same feel to it, but almost a bit more like pop-punk. I'd say every song off this CD is great, but great is an understatement. I feel in love with all the tracks, except one, "Permafrost." It's a 3 minute ambient song, and I just don't like that stuff usually. I love pretty much everything about it, I just hate that it's not longer, even though there's 12 songs. If someone stole this, I would fully torture that person to get it back. I love it so much. Definitely go get this album wherever you can find it and support this great band.

huevos
    akronos wrote: probably chek them out...idk. im not a super fan of mars volta, but ill like just about anything as long as its progressive and well thought out. also, i dont really mind how many tracks are on an album. i hate it when artists throw in a bunch of crappy,would be b-sides just to add more tracks to a cd when in reality they werent good enough to make the cut in the first place.
    This makes no sense at all. Progressive and well-thought out? Madness! No, but it is a bit contradictory to state that the added b-sides when they weren't good enough to make the cut. The point of b-sides is that they weren't good enough for the final product, or at least that specific album. You saying they aren't good enough to even be b-sides? That would make a lot more sense. Awesome album. It's definitely an instant classic. The problem is, how the hell do you make a follow up to this album? It's too damn good for CiM's own good.
    vppark2
    Call me crazy but i get a little bit of a Dance Gavin Dance feeling as well as the other 2 influences mentioned.