The Penance And The Patience review by Closure in Moscow

• Released: Apr 19, 2008
Closure in Moscow: The Penance And The Patience

Closure in Moscow is a five peice progressive rock band from Australia. This is their first EP (or as they call it "Albumette") and it is one of the most unique I have listened to. The music mostly fits into a Post-Hardcore genre, with the guitar work often resembling that of Chiodos, but the band delivers a very cool progressive touch to it. This album just rocks throughout, although there are a few slower songs on here, these don't even fail to impress with strong vocals and killer instrumental work. The story of this album is quite impressive as well. The band began by jamming to Saosin songs, and eventually the members of CiM began working on their albumette just a year after forming. Each member sold their car in order to hire Kris Krummet to produce the EP. I found that story to show the dedication these guys had to their music. Overall, it's fantastic, and I can't wait for more from this group of guys.

The lyrics are somewhat strange in CiM's world; but they fit in very well with the progressive style that they pump out. They also can be hard to understand, but it's worth going back and listening a few more times to pick up on them, and in the end they are quite good lyrics. The lead singer has a very nice range, and the high notes he can hit add a somewhat familiar, yet unique touch to the music. These high vocals are also balance out with the backup vocals of one of the guitarists (who has an overall lower range)and usually comes in fantastically during the choruses. The lyrics could be easier to understand, but the singing on the album is very unique.

My overall impression of the album is that is incredibly good. I bought a digital copy, being a resident of the U.S, and I would really enjoy to get my hands on the real EP. The most impressive songs on here would have to be "Here's to Entropy", which shows off some really cool progressive bits, and "Dulcinea", which is a softer song but has some fantastic singing, lyrics, and instrument work throughout. I would say the only thing I "hate" is that there are just 6 songs, but I guess I'll have to wait for the debut. Overall, of your'e a fan of bands like Chiodos, Saosin, Circa Survive, Coheed and Cambria, or any other band like them, you should truly enjoy what Closure in Moscow has created.

Sarah&Colour
    This EP/Albumette was amazing. One of the best Australian releases for 2008, in my opinion.
    Zapfire
    Without a doubt, they're one of my new favorite bands. The sound is similar yet so unique which is why I liked it so much
    Infamou$17
    I'm nothing but impressed by this band. Best new talent I've heard in a long time. Perfect fit for Equal Vision, the full-length should kick ass