Let Yourself Be Huge review by Cloudkicker

• Released: Nov 17, 2011
Cloudkicker: Let Yourself Be Huge

Cloudkicker's most recent release goes in a completely different direction than previous efforts, but the end result has become my favorite music the artist has to offer. A solo project by musician Ben Sharp, "Let Yourself Be Huge" strays from the faster, heavier, more technical songs found on "The Discovery" and "Beacons". Mr. Sharp traded in the distortion for acoustic guitars, and the focused sounds and rhythms for an ambient and relaxing sound. This 26 minute album is a great listen, and is one of the best and most relaxing works I have heard since "Minus The Bear's Menos El Oso". The self-produced record by Ben Sharp sounds professionally produced, and showcases different styles and influences that create a unique record that has become one of the most frequently played albums in my music collection.

On previous Cloudkicker releases, the music was all instrumental. On "Let Yourself Be Huge", this trend continues, except for the title track. Even so, the vocals are just utilized to add to the ambiance of the song and album as a whole. On this album, the music tells the story, or provides a background for your own interpretation. "You And Yours" delves somewhat into a post-metal/post-rock sound, reminiscent of the Isis albums "Panopticon" or "In The Absence Of Truth". The use of sleigh bells in "It's Inside Me, And I'm Inside It" reminds one of Explosions In The Sky's album "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place". The odd-feeling drum groove that starts out "Explore, Be Curious" with the building ambient guitars make the listener feel like they are exploring a new place in their mind. The other four tracks are pleasing acoustic interludes that transition from the previous song to the next, giving the listener a chance to digest and prepare for the next song to play. I feel that Ben Sharp is a very good musician, but also a very good composer. When you lie down and listen to this album as a whole, the music tells a story, not through words, but through the instruments, and the way Sharp worked this album together gives the listener an open interpretation to the story of the album.

"Let Yourself Be Huge" is my favorite Cloudkicker album that Ben Sharp has released. I would recommend the tracks "Explore, Be Curious" as well as "It's Inside Me, And I'm Inside It", but the album is best listened to as a whole. I love how Mr. Sharp has gone in a different direction from "Beacons" to this present release, but I wouldn't mind if he went back to the heavier, more progressive music he has composed in the past. He is a great musician who puts out his work for free (although physical copies of this album are available). Overall, this album is definitely worth at least a listen, although I hold this record in a higher regard than that. While it will be hard to top this effort, I'm sure Ben Sharp can do it.

Revocati0n
    FlyingPirahna
    I just about shat myself when I saw Cloudkicker in the reviews, thinking he had already put out more new music.
    Tarsplitter
    Gregray88 wrote: lol math metal has been around forever bud
    Yeah, get in the loop man!
    CapnKickass
    Pretty good album. I like how he incorporates the integers. But seriously, it's pretty good.
    iommi600
    Revocati0n wrote: iommi600 wrote: "Math Metal"? Ok, all this metal-labeling bullshit needs to end. What's next, My-Foot-Up-Your-Ass-Metal?lol i've seen a few of your posts around today, and you my friend, are a MASSIVE douchebag. metal subgenres are a good thing. It stops shitheads calling Slayer slamming death metal.
    Oh, I'm so concerned about numbskulls calling Slayer death metal. My life would just stop. Sod off.
    iommi600
    If only people realized that metal is just music and not all this crappy labeling and worrying about how 15-year olds may call their favorite bands, metal music would be even better today. Disagree? Then go argue with ****ing Chuck Schuldiner or thousands of other metal musicians who always said the same thing. Ah, whatever. Cool band, gave this a listen earlier today.