Full Fathom Five [DVD] Review

artist: Clutch date: 08/18/2008 category: compact discs
Clutch: Full Fathom Five [DVD]
Release Date: Aug 12, 2008
Clutch perform selections from their extensive and compelling catalog with bare-boned precision. This sludge-rock warhorse easily proves why they deserve to be more than mere cult stars.
 Content: 7
 Production Quality: 7
 7.5
 6.5
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Full Fathom Five [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 18, 2008

Sound: YouTube has practically taken the live bootleg business out of business in the last two to three years. One of my favorites had to be a live performance from Clutch filmed during the band's early years. There was something about Neil Fallon's fevered, almost manic stage presence that really resonated with me. This was from a period in Clutch's career where they had more in common with the blunt aggression of hardcore than the blues-boogie of their more recent output. With each passing record, the band's guitar sound lost a lot of its overdriven crunch in favor of a stripped-down, far more organic tone. The material garnered Clutch raves from both critics and fans alike. But in the process, they might have lost some of their earlier, metal leaning fans. Luckily, the band's PR person sent me Full Fathom Five, their newly released live DVD/CD package. Compiled of five separate concerts spanning two continents, the footage finds the band firing on all cylinders. How could this beast fly under my radar for so long? // 8

Overall Impression: Sometimes you'll hear people defend a band by saying things like, you should see them live to really get it. This definitely is true in the case of Clutch. Even though I had seen the band early on in their career, I had lost interest in their studio offerings and stopped paying attention. With Full Fathom Five, not only was my interest piqued again, I am now a full-believer in the group. When it comes down to it, Clutch is a band that is best captured and seen live. This is not a slight on them in the least. Actually, it's the complete opposite. In this day and age of Pro-Tools and Auto-Tune aided bands, finding someone this monstrous live is extremely rare. Younger bands should watch these performances to see how it's truly done. Hopefully Clutch can carry this exciting spirit into the recording studio next time out. // 8

- Carlos Ramirez (c) 2008