Robot Hive / Exodus review by Clutch

• Released: Jun 21, 2005
Clutch: Robot Hive / Exodus

With Clutch's latest release, it's a big step from 'Blast Tryant' and a hell of a good follow-up. This album has a more bluesy edge to it, but again more of a heavier outing but with its still organic feel. Also the addition of Mick Schauer on keyboards, organs and such, with contributing with the writing process, it altogether comes out as a varied style of blues, jazz and good old Clutch rock.

Neil Fallon again amazes me with crazy lyrics, this time including the following, "Smile Taste Kittens!" "Polyester Trousers," but with the themes of robots invading, church themes. And again Neil's voice is top-notch, if not better. From his rocking voice on 'Burning Beard' or a bluesy voice for the Howling Wolf cover 'Who's Been Talking?' it certainly shows his range of skills as a singer.

This album certainly stands their previous work and also every other band out there at the moment. It's maybe not as hard rocking as 'Blast Tryant', and you may not get into it straight away, I know I didn't. But with a few listens you'll notice it's an incredible album. And again John Paul Gaster amazes me with his jazzy rock feel, but his most impressive track is the instrumental "Tripping The Alarm" which you have to see here to notice what he's playing. Other standout tracks, 'Gravel Road', 'Mice And Gods', '10001110101', 'Land Of Pleasant Living'.

learninclutch
    Every Clutch record takes a few listens before you can appreciate how bad ass they really are!
    Mainer
    Just got this album today, I love Clutch, and this is one of their best