Gin review by Cobalt

• Released: Mar 17, 2009
Cobalt: Gin

The Black metal duo of Cobalt (Erik Wunder and Phil McSorley) carve a dark and strange sound on their latest effort, Gin. Cobalt's Gin is a spooky album, filling your speakers with the eerie echoes of dead men and crazy spirits. The minimal instrumentation work together to forge a barabaric set of compositions, contrasting sections of low key droning with hammering attacks. The riffwork is almost groovy in nature, reminiscent of Tool, but only if Adam Jones was brought up on Black Metal. The tribal drumming helps fuel the album, sometimes hypnotic with its rhythm. Interestingly, the most disturbing sections of the album are the ones of mysterious calm; 'Dry Body' is an unnerving experience as is 'Pregnant Insect.' Cobalt works exceedingly well in creating an atmosphere of tension and aggression.

There is a dark sense of horror represented in the lyrics of Gin. Focussing on the work of Gonzo genius Hunter S Thompson and writer Ernest Hemingway, McSorley brings out a tortured and nihilistic feeling which fits in seemlessly with the music. McSorley belts out the words in a throat-tearing shrieks, sometimes opting for a low chant. The sheer insanity inspired by the lyrics of the album is almost palpable.

Gin is an obscure and inexplicable album, filled with intense feeling and an air of pure dread. It is difficult to truly express the mood evoked by the album; a deeply personal journey which would be a different experience for every listener. The music provided is fantastic; the work performed by Wunder is fantastic though it is only through the sharp cohesion between him and McSorely that this record truly works.

EpiExplorer
    Deplorable
    EpiExplorer wrote: Just use your ears instead of rushing to your keyboard. Its too obvious when you listen to it that it has some very similar riffs to Devildriver and if YOU cant hear them or hear the badly written instrumentation in this album, then there's some sort of arrogant elitism that Jekyll and Hydes your brain from time to time.
    The riffs sound nothing like Devildriver, please learn to use your ears and then brain (I'm currently suspecting you lack most of this), rather than criticising my use of this ability. And sure, I guess you can say they have badly written instrumentation, but first a. what the hell does that mean? and b. identify me some on Gin that conforms to your definition. You say it should be obvious when I listen to it, I've listened to this album more than 30 times and I haven't heard any. Enlighten me.
    EpiExplorer wrote: Its like some sort of human instinct to randomly defend anything that picks their fancy just because one person points out the obvious.
    How profound and philosophical of you... but did you think that YOU actually may be wrong; that what you're pointing out doesn't actually exist and that you haven't actually listened to the album, so your opinion is null. I swear I've read some retarded comments on UG before, but that one is seriously up there...
    celticstorm84
    EpiExplorer wrote: Deplorable wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Incredibly dull, heard-before and sloppy black metal.. And where did all the Devildriver riffs come from? This is just from the title track.. lol I can see you obviously have such in depth experience with Black Metal to call this sloppy. And Devildriver riffs... what the flying **** are you talking about? Fuck me, the slint influence on this album makes this one of the most innovative in the last few years, it sounds so old timey and eerie. It's also rather in your face and punishing makes for a weird combo, but it works so well, The last section in Gin just destroys. How they make songs build up and swell (like Dry Body) is just fantastic, I really hope they get to putting out another album soon (but with Bud in the army for a little while longer, it may be unlikely) Just use your ears instead of rushing to your keyboard. Its too obvious when you listen to it that it has some very similar riffs to Devildriver and if YOU cant hear them or hear the badly written instrumentation in this album, then there's some sort of arrogant elitism that Jekyll and Hydes your brain from time to time. Its like some sort of human instinct to randomly defend anything that picks their fancy just because one person points out the obvious.
    Lol, wut???
    ruker
    This album is great. It just flows from start to finish. Every time I hear it, I want to tab out some songs on GP haha.
    BlackSymphony6
    The tool influence is a definate, the devildriver influence is non-existent. Not sure this album is on a par with Eater of Birds though.
    EpiExplorer
    severed-metal
    This wasn't a very good album. Simple as that. Maybe I just don't "get it" but there was honestly nothing that brought me back to this album. Good review though Jib
    jfreyvogel
    Good album. Not sure it deserves a 9, but definitely higher than a 6. I'd give it an 8 personally.
    Deplorable
    krvolok wrote: I'm a BM fan and as I one said somewhere the best or the "true" BM bands are those who don't make generic Burzum-ish songs but try to make their own sound.
    trve kvlt 4 life.
    krvolok
    jibran
    Fuck me. I didn't mention anything about Slint influence. Sorry Sam.