While The City Sleeps We Rule The Streets review by Cobra Starship

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Cobra Starship: While The City Sleeps We Rule The Streets

Cobra Starship is the brainchild of Midtown frontman Gabe Saporta. The name of the CD is While the City Sleeps, We Rule the Streets. At first, when I heard Snakes on a Plane (Bring It) off the Snakes on a Plane album, I was extremely excited. I thought there was going to be a new band that I would fall in love with. Listening to an early version of The Church of Hot Addiction only reaffirmed my excitement. However, when the album came out, I was disappointed. This was standard dance from from a standard band, and mostly forgettable.

There's really nothing to the lyrics. However, they are redeemed by "It's Warmer in the Basement", which is literally about locking a woman in your basement and keeping her prisoner. When Gabe introduces this song at concerts, he says, "This song is about loving a woman so much you lock her in your basement." Pretty funny stuff. The lyrics to the other songs are good to sing along to, but mostly forgettable and inane. Gabe Saporta isn't a spectacular singer, but he gets the job done. No worse than anyone else out these days.

WTSS, WRTS is standard dance rock fare in the vein of Panic. However, it just doesn't make the cut. Other than a few tracks (The Church Of Hot Addiction, Keep It Simple, It's Warmer In The Basement, Snakes On A Plane, And You Can't Be Missed If You Never Go Away), the album fails to make a lasting impression. If it was stolen, I probably wouldn't replace it. I would just download the good songs again. Cobra Starship shows promise, but they just don't make the cut.

JoNnHannah
    I agree, I like the album and have fun listening to it, but it's definently nothing special. Great review.