Just Visiting Part 1 Review

Cog: Just Visiting Part 1
Release Date: Jan 15, 2002
Label: Little Samurai
Genres: Rock
The debut release from this Bondi-based prog rock band. Cog's fearsome live reputation has earned them a loyal following across Australia. This EP features five tracks.
 7.7
 7.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Just Visiting Part 1 Reviewed by: 9_11_4, on march 20, 2006

Sound: Cog are a progressive rock/metal band hailing from Bondi Beach on the coast of Australia. Just Visiting Part One was originally going to be released as one album combined with Just Visiting Part two however the band decided it would be better publicity for it to be released separately. Cog has been raved about for their live shows and this was their first attempt at making something so the fans could take home their own piece of Cog. The sound of Cog's music is unique; they have added keyboard and multiple guitar dubs to fill gaps. The guitar is executed well; it is slightly distorted with a bit of reverb but honestly nothing incredible to write home about technically. There are no solos the sound works and blends well together and solos aren't needed. The bass is deep and often overlooked but it plays an integral part of the music. At times when guitar is scarce the bass gets its chance to shine. Drums are consistent the whole way through nothing bad can be said about them. All together in makes a great sound and need no showing off. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically this album could be compared to a murky pond. You step into the shallows take one step further and fall into the depths of the Lyrics. Two of the songs on this album feature excerpts; Moshiach (the extended version) features Lucious reading from 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - An Indian History of the American West' by Dee Brown. And the song 1010011010 has a sample from a movie based on the book of the same title by George Orwell. Listen out for the words "Circus" and "Paris" as they alway seem to be popping up in Cog's work. The Lyrics seem to match the songs perfectly although the samples seem a little out of place. Sometimes the music sound like it's overpowering the lyrics and they can be hard to hear. This is probably due to Lucious' inexperience as a vocalist. The band could not find a front man so Lucious decided to sing. His voice isn't horrible but it sounds like it could do with some training. The vocal harmonies are great especially from a band with no vocal experience. My favourite harmonies come in on the song Moo. Although it seems at times the vocals are being dodged usually by whispering this is a strong effort for the cog boys. // 8

Overall Impression: Fans of Cog who bought "the new normal" first maybe a bit taken aback when buying Cog's back catalogue, it may seem like a major step backwards to those who haven't been following the progression from the start. My favourite song on the album is "Bondi" because this song has all the Cog elements. The songs work best when played as an album; they seem to lose that special quality when played individually. Until I wrote this article listening to this CD non stop I didn't realise how much I cared for it. Now I would actually care if it was stolen. Although at first it isn't the most appealing album I must admit give it a few listens and grows on you. // 8

Comments