Just Visiting Part 2 Review

Cog: Just Visiting Part 2
Release Date: July 16, 2002
Label: Little Samurai
Genres: Rock
JV2 is not just the sequel to JV1 but is the doppleganger to the music they write, produce and perform so credibly well.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Just Visiting Part 2 Reviewed by: 9_11_4, on march 21, 2006

Sound: Cog is a progressive rock/metal band hailing from Bondi Beach on the eastern coast of Australia. Just visiting was originally going to be released as an album; but for publicity reasons the album was split into two parts released separately. Cog is a trio consisting of guitar, bass and drums. This album sounds heavier and more confronting than its counterpart. The first track on the album "Paris Texas" is very blunt and straight to the point "We're all going to die" is the message they are getting across. The vocals are the focus for the majority of the song with hardly any guitar or bass present. About 3/4 of the way through the guitars come in strongly and play in true cog style. Throughout the whole album the riffs played are simple and effective. Cog songs are typically structured as follows intro-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-breakdown. During the breakdown cog brings together all the parts of the song and link it all together. Usually through vocal harmonies. Lucious does his first solo on "The Truth And Other Lies" which uses a wah wah pedal. It sounds so strange and out of place which just makes it so good. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are more confronting than the last. For most of "Paris Texas" all that is being sung is "We're all going to die" which is surprisingly catchy but makes you look creepy to sing along to. The lyrics are deep and tell stories and explain feelings all so deep. The vocals of the albums are considerably better than the last attempt. Long notes are held. The harmonies seem more polished and Luscious' voice has got louder and stronger. There is even a female backing singer with such a beautiful voice. The lyrics meld perfectly with the songs, Cog has a natural talent for music and it is obvious through this album. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I liked this album slightly more than Just Visiting Part One, it just goes that one step further and impresses me more. My favourite songs on the album were "Paris Texas" and "The Truth And Other Lies." However I was not impressed by the title track "Just Visiting" as it was too vague and off the point. All in all it's a great album and a worthy of the cog collection. If it was stolen I would definitely fork out another $10 (AUS) to buy it again. // 9

Comments