Sharing Space review by Cog

• Released: Apr 12, 2008
Cog: Sharing Space

Cog spent over 12 months locked away recording their second album. Produced by Sylvia Massy, the fruit of their labour is Sharing Space. After listening to this album through twice I must admit this is one of the best sophomore albums I've ever heard. Rather than branching out into a new direction, Cog have focused on what makes them original, and refined it. The album itself is less riff-oriented and contains more chord progressions. It contains incredible immersive soundscapes and at the same time, catchy, commercial standouts. It's hard to believe that this band is a three-piece. The guitar sound is amazing, it's distorted, but blends in perfectly with the bass. The drums are tough and technical as always, and when combined with the rest it makes a beautiful, unique sound.

Brilliant, poetic and politically charged, Flynn's lyrics are great as always. Luke's backing vocals on this album create great harmonies and give it a richer sound. They blend in well with Flynn's lead vocals and add a new dynamic to each song. The only gripe I have with the lyrics is the content. Politics have been done to death and it's kind of annoying. But regardless of the content, they are well written.

Sharing Space parallels The New Normal, if not surpassing it. Cog's sound has matured but will divide fans. Those who want an album packed with riffs and screaming vocals won't find it here. This is an album that sucks you in but keeps you aware of every musical note. Standout tracks are, "Are You Interested?" "What If" and "Bird of Feather".

SOYCD
    Subcide
    johnnypark30
    I remember when The New Normal came out and I kept posting in the UG forums trying to get people to listen to Cog, I was just so overwhelmed with how great they were. Hopefully some people will see this review and go and buy their new album, 'cause it's brilliant.
    Everyone should join the cog group. I haven't been able to listen to this album all the way through yet though i'm sure it will be great, also if i try to add a review will it not work cause there's already one there?
    johnnypark30
    11223344554433 wrote: I haven't been able to listen to this album all the way through yet though i'm sure it will be great, also if i try to add a review will it not work cause there's already one there?
    It will work, there will just be two glowing reviews instead of one.
    9_11_4
    SOYCD wrote: cant belive COG got a review on UG they ****in rock and their sound is solid for a band that only gets play on triple j
    dude, if you've looked I have reviews all of their past releases I love cog
    sturm
    Subcide wrote: If you like this, check out Karnivool and Dead letter circus, 2 other solid Aussie bands.
    +1 karnivool is friggin awesome... would highly recommend checking them out over cog...