Sharing Space review by Cog

• Released: Apr 12, 2008
Cog: Sharing Space

Just when you think that the musical enigma that is Cog couldn't possibly evolve any more, they defy expectations and deliver such an amazing album that even the most seasoned Cog fan will be blown away. Not only have they tightened up their already phenomenal sound, their song writing has matured far beyond The New Normal. Flynn, one of the most underrated guitar players/vocalists of all time has come through once again with his amazing voice and guitar work. Luke, once again, has performed incredibly, his bass lines marginally more dominant in the mix now, and still very melodic. Lucius's performance is equally as impressive as the rest of the album (not to mention every other shred of recording), however it is noticeable that he has toned down his kit quite a lot, focusing more on rhythm and power than the brain bending insanity of the New Normal. This isn't at all a bad thing, it adds so much more to the music than first thought.

The lyrics on this album are noticeably more political than the New Normal, and being a huge fan of bands such as RATM and Midnight Oil, I have absolutely no problem with that. The lyrical work is still riddled with metaphor and intelligence and is just as brilliant as on the previous albums. Lyrically my favorite songs are Swamp, What if, Bird of Feather and Four Walls.

Sharing Space takes your breath away. It is beautiful in every single aspect, even the album art is breathtaking. It rivals The New Normal in every aspect, surpassing it in others (I'm not about to stop listening to The New Normal mind you). I picked it up on April 12th and I've listened to it around 8 times. Catchy, technical, marvelous, captivating and breath taking all at the same time, definitely not an album to be missed. If it were lost or stolen I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It really is that good.

Chaos3333
    shnurs
    i prefer karnivool out of the lot but dont forget the butterfly effect, memento, MM9 and mammal.
    AwesomeDrummer
    Chaos3333 wrote: I love cog and this is the album that got me into them. Flynn is an amazing singer and as a drummer it's hard not to be impressed by Lucius. This album has so much to off and this band is criminally underrated.
    i saw lucius play a few songs as well as a 20 min solo at the Australian Ultimate drummers weekend. He is a superb drummer. Apparently he left school at 14 and became a pro drummer then. being 15 myself, that's freakin' amazing...
    Bunyip
    Yes they're making lists of people intrested in this politically charged yes but still very awesome lyrics... I like to think of them more as conspisrist theorist lyrics as opposed to all out political.
    420Tool
    Cog are without question one of the most underrated bands ever. Easily in my opionion. It's just a shame that I only found out about them a couple months ago. Too bad they broke up along with Silverchair, but I did find some other awesome bands coming out of Australia, like Karnivool, Mammal (they ****ing broke up too), The Butterfly Effect, Dead Letter Circus, and Birds of Tokyo.