The New Normal review by Cog

• Released: Aug 2, 2005
Cog: The New Normal

For their Debut album Cog left Australian soils to work with well renowned producer Sylvia Massey (Tool, System Of A Down, Spiderbait). And man, did they make a killer combination. The album entitled the new normal hit the stores in early 2005 and quickly became popular with triple J listeners. The album was featured on the radio station during it's first week in the stores and the whole nation heard a Cog song at one time or another. A new producer brought along a brighter and fresher sound for the band. They ditched the multiple guitar overdubs and replaced them with more of Cog's brand of vocal harmonies, which are frequently heard on this record. The bass on this record is better than on their last, it has it's own leads and the parts are more distinct. The drums have also improved, I really love the hats on anarchy ok. The thing that has really progressed the most has got to be the guitar. Not just riffs anymore, the guitar has chords and picking and it is just beautiful, jumping from open chords, to power chord riffs and then back. The songs on this album are catchier than previous attempts. You're bound to be singing along to at least one of the songs. Cog is a band where you can really see the results that practice makes perfect and a good producer helps.

Lyrically The New Normal is superior to the EPs that it follows. They sing about real life, anarchy, loss and relationships. The lyrical gem from the album comes from the spine the intro is spoken in an occer aussie accent and goes and it was the new music, and it was timid and humble and stern, and It was brown and light brown and sepia and it was almost forgotten, It lays in a ditch on the side of the road you and I drove along once and it was happy to lie there daydreaming, it stretched into the distance further than you ever thought possible. And it didn't give a fuck about you or I either way! The vocals on this album are such an improvement. The lead singer has gained both convidence and experience through extensive touring. Backing vocals add brilliant harmonies behind the lead vocals.

The New Normal, is a vast improvement on previous attempts. It has been acclaimed and awarded by Australia radio stations. Cog is often compared to Tool, but personally I think cog is superior. This album burned up my stereo for weeks, I was totally in love with it. This albus is durable, play after play its charm doesn't go away. Hopefully cog will get the overseas recognition they deserve in the near future with this masterpiece of an album.

punksurf30
    At last someone has cottoned on to this brilliant band. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're superior to Tool, but if they keep producing fantastic albums like this they'll be well on their way. Every track is a standout. PLAY IT LOUD!
    jarrah
    Cog have refined their ep sound to produce what I believe to be one of the greatest albums by an Australian band ever. I saw these guys live recently at an underage gig at despite the small venue they were fantastic. The sound these three guys produce is sensational, and this innovative, distinct, robust production is a must have for anyone interested in a quality, modern and original sound. Check their site out, these guys are worth every second.