The New Normal review by Cog

• Released: Aug 2, 2005
Cog: The New Normal

For those of you who have not had the privilege/experience of hearing Cogs' music, you're sorely missing out on one of the most spectacular Australian bands to have ever come together. This album lives entirely up to the amazing talents that are Flynn Gower, Luke Gower and Lucius Borich. The sound on this album is absolutely breathtaking, every single part of it, every last tiny nook and cranny just reeks of quality. The guitar work is phenomenal. It combines a lot of inventive riffing with beautiful soundscaping and an overly ambient clean sound (it has to be heard to be comprehended), whilst the distorted parts are both crunchy and incredibly effective. Once again, it's extremely difficult to put into words. The bass (provided by Luke) is also absolutely incredible, and it seldom often shadows the guitar work, you can always hear something interesting going on with the bass, however, when the bass and guitar lock together they thump like no other! The drumming on the album is just as good as the string work. it's technical and incredibly melodic, and incredibly catchy. Lucius' drumming fits perfectly with everything else on the album, it all combines to form this amazing gargantuan sound.

Lyrically Flynn Gower reminds me of SOAD's Serj Tankian, he uses a lot of metaphor and ethereal imagery. The majority of the lyrics on the album are centered around politics, society, humanity, existence and spirit. As for Flynns voice, it's absolutely mind blowing. He has this unique timbre that really gives the music an Australian feel. His singing ranges from melodic singing and subtle falsetto to this amazing throaty bellowing. The most impressive thing about Flynn as a vocalist is that he sings over often mangled time signatures whilst playing the guitar. This of course is only applicable to the live shows (those are also amazing).

Overall, this album is probably the best album that I own. I really can't describe exactly how it makes me feel, but I strongly recommend anyone who reads this check it out. I swear you will not regret it! As for thievery and all that jazz, if someone stole The New Normal off me I'd definitely replace it with a shiny new copy, my life would have a massive chasm without it!