Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Sep 20, 2005
Coheed and Cambria: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness

If you're familiar with Coheed & Cambria's previous albums, The Second Stage Turbine Blade, and In Keeping Secrets... , than you'll be happy to know that even after a jump to a major label, the band still has their trademark sound. However, slightly different, is that on this record, Co&Ca have become a little more focused sounding, having a good solid rock album, rather than dipping into pop, (Blood Red Summer), or maybe metal (The Camper Velourium III: Al The Killer). As most Co&Ca fans know, the albums follow a sci-fi concept story. However, for this record, Claudio Sanchez, the lead vocalist and guitarist, decided to add a little more depth. Good Apollo... is actually the story of the writer of the story (still with me? ), and how his life experiences influence the story's characters and it's outcome. Kudos for creativity. I'd say it's a damn good album. There is still the classic Coheed sound apparent on Good Apollo... , but they manage to pull of a smoother sound which benefits this particular album. The usual string arrangements are still here, and fit in flawlessly. Travis Stever, lead guitarist, even uses some lap steel on a track or two, which adds a cool, unique sound.

The lyrics follow the story of "The Writer", so if you're not a Coheed fan, and are unaware of the story, you may find it hard to get into and understand. However, I still believe even a brand new listener will be able to appreciate the complex and creative vocals that go along perfectly with the complex and creative music. As for the singer, Claudio has a very unique voice, and has often been dubbed the modern day Geddy Lee. His helium voice is the love-it-or-hate-it type, but personally I love it. Claudio doesn't only have a high, smooth voice, he knows how to use it to it's full potential as well. You will here sweet ballads on the acoustic tracks, solid rock vocals on the rest, and even some unique shrieks and screams scattered throughout the CD.

As far as conceptual albums go, you could compare Good Apollo to The Mars Volta's "De-loused In The Comatorium" or "Frances The Mute", Boys Night Out's "Trainwreck", and even maybe some old Pink Floyd records. A few tracks that really shine on this album are "Welcome Home", which is the first single, "The Suffering" which will be the second single and have a video out for it fairly soon, and "Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial)". If it were lost/stolen, I would definately go pick up another copy. If you're a prog rock/emo/screamo/pop/rock fan, this is a must have album.