Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Sep 20, 2005
Coheed and Cambria: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness

Like the previous two Coheed And Cambria albums, Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV tells a story based around the graphic novels that the band also write. This album truly portrays the band's emotions and thoughts through the sheer energy and original sound on offer here. Claudio Sanchez's falsetto vocals and duelling guitar solos make Coheed stand far out from the mainstream and in a league of their own, in whatever genre they can be classified as. To me, this album gives me the feel of walking throguh the woods on a rainy day. I have no idea why but it gives me that dark, rural feeling, as if they would be playing these songs in a big old empty house in the middle of nowhere. Even though this seems like a weird vibe to get off it, I still really enjoy this album. The skill of the guitarists Claudio Sanchez and Travis Barker is simply mind-blowing, just listen to the solo on 'Welcome Home' and 'Willing Well IV: The Final Cut', which reminds me a bit of Pink Floyd, their fingers must be flying up and down the fretboard like theres no tommorow.

To me, there are two sides to Coheed's music that you can enjoy differently, the lyrics that make you think "What the hell is in his head?", and the music which is just marvellous, as mentioned before. The general theme lyrics wise on this album appears to be about revenge on people who have done wrong against him, for example on 'Willing Well IV: The Final Cut' Claudio sings "you're a selfish little whore, I'm the selfish little whore, If I had my way I'd crush your face in the door". This is a brilliant lyric because its such a nasty thing to say but its sung in such a calm and melodic way, as is much of the album. In terms of the singer skill, I would say that it doesn't come much more original and amazingly graceful as Claudio Sanchez of Coheed And Cambria.

The stand out songs on this album are 'Welcome Home', 'The Suffering', 'Apollo I: The Writing Writer' and 'Willing Well IV: The Final Cut', all of which span through the genres of rock, metal, pop, classical and maybe even blues. I have noticed that a hell of a lot of palm muting goes on on this album, which could get tedious if you notice it too much but if you are already entranced by the incredible vocals, the story telling, the enourmous solos, the chunky riffs and the beautiful flow of this album then you'll hardly care. Brilliant album, you'll love it more and more with each listen.

ledzepprules09
    ten speed and wake up are both equally great IMO, and to the dude who wrote the first review... they arent satanists...