Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Sep 20, 2005
Coheed and Cambria: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 1: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness

I have been a hard rock fan for a very long time and I can say that without a doubt, this is the most unique album I have ever heard. From the moment I inserted it into my CD player to several days later, I have not been able to get it out of my head. The last album to do that for me was Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime. I have read many reviews on this album and I can see every point of view. It captivates from the beginning. I am a big fan of Metallica's S&M adventure and to this day found orchestration and rock can be done hand in hand. One of my favorites is Ozzy's "Diary of A Madman". This album follows along that path of melodic bliss. Singing vocals is Claudio Sanchez and he can clearly be compared to Geddy Lee with his amazing vocals. But apart from the frightenly similar sound he produces, the comparison ends there. The music blends between songs and I never felt bored with it. Normally I would have never given a band like this a second thought, but it was recommended to me from a coworker and I must say that I can't thank him enough for introducing them to me. After the second day of listening to the album, I ordered the first two albums to listen how the band has developed musically. The bass in The Willing Well III - Apollo II - The Telling Truth is just thumping along, competing with both guitars. A perfect blend in my opinion. The album does not dissapoint. Right now I cannot pinpoint a favorite. Each song has something different to offer and you just have to listen to appreciate it.

The lyrics are hard to follow along with. That is not a bad thing. Nirvana had horrible lyrics and Kurt Cobain became a god. A dead one at that. Sanchez does a great job of showing off the dynamics and range that he can attain with his voice. It helps that the rest of the band is tuned in with his voice and compliment him well for background vocals. Parts of the lyrics do jump right out at you and grab your attention, like in Once Upon Your Dead Body, "No, I hope you die right now/Will you drink my chemical". You can expect this throughout the album.

Like I have said, I have read many reviews and lots of bands have been named. I wish I could give the same comparison. I am curious to see if they are as gifted as Co&Ca. I would think not. To me, they are extremely original. It won't be long before other bands start picking up on what this band is doing right. I look forward to a new release and am anxiously waiting for the previous two albums. If you like Rock, this is a great album to add to your collection. Go to their website www.coheedandcambria.com and listen prior to buying. You wont be disappointed.

fluffylump2
    ya know what i hate? when coheed is considered emo. these guys are way too intelligent and proggy to be emo. some people just don't get it.
    Ahstyn
    In my opinion, this album is a masterpiece. Every song is good.