Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 2: No World For Tomorrow review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Oct 23, 2007
Coheed and Cambria: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 2: No World For Tomorrow

This album in the final part in the Coheed and Cambria saga, "The Amory Wars" and their 4th studio album. With the next album being the first part of the saga. Over the last 2 studio albums the sound of coheed and cambria has been becoming increasingly technical, though also mainstream. The songs sounds have a much bigger dynamic range than their early recordings (compare devil in jersey city from SST to Gravemakers and gunslingers from NWFT). The album is littered with the usual Coheed and Cambria catchy hooks and little licks that we've come to expect, songs like "mother superior" and "feathers" manage to slow down the tempo while still retaining the feel of the album. This is the first album of Coheed and Cambria not to have the talents of Josh Eppard on drums (now of hip-hop outfit "Weerd Science"). The band now have Chris Pennie on drums (formally of Dillinger escape plan), though Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters recorded the drums in the studio (due to Chris Pennie having contractual obligations preventing him being used). With all that said, the drums don't have a particularly different feel, if anything though, they are slightly tighter.

The Lyrics are very much the same as the previous Co&Ca albums; with each of the songs telling a part of the Co&Ca Amory wars story. With every live Co&Ca performance I've seen Claudio Sanchez seems to get more and more confident with his vocal abilities, it's a shame then that this album doesn't seem him explore any new sides to his vocals.

Well if you like Co&Ca then I'm sure your going to like this album. Its very much a "more of the same" album. The album has (the now customary) nth part long song taking up half the album (in this case its 5 parts long) - and to be honest, it labours a little. That said, some really nice tracks on this album help to redeem the bands lack of forward momentum and experimentation. The phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. Tracks to look out for being: The Hound Of Blood And Rank, Feathers, Gravemakers And Gunslingers.