Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 2: No World For Tomorrow review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Oct 23, 2007
Coheed and Cambria: Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Vol. 2: No World For Tomorrow

Coheed and Cambria return with a new drummer and a new album. Coheed has always been a band that has evolved with each album, and this one is no exception. In the final chapter of the CoCa series, the band has taken a pretty epic approach with the songs, and I must say that it works. The album opens with "The Reaping", a little acoustic number that, for the minute or so it lasts, definately succeeds in setting the gloomy atmosphere for the rest of the album. This leads you right into "No World For Tomorrow", which smacks you in the face with a pure metal riff, definately the epic Welcome Home of this cd. The lack of any real solo was the only downfall of this song. "The Hound(Of Blood and Rank)" follows. The tone of the intro riff has a very David Gilmour sound to it, and it's awesome. It then develops into your typical Coheed song, with a catchy "Come on and set me free" chorus. Gilmour-esque solo is done very tastefully. "Feathers" is more of the same, with that Coheed sound intact. "The Running Free" is next, the albums first single. This song made me skeptical of the album when I heard it, and it is definately the low point of the album. A little too cheesy for me, but for those into that sort of thing, eat this number up. "Mother Superior" follows, the Light and the Glass of this LP. Claudios signature acoustic style is excellent, and this song is no exception. A great Coheed ballad. "Gravemakers and Gunslingers" is up next, and this is an excellent song. Claudio brings in the riff, and Travis slaps a screaming lead on the song not long after. He creates a wonderful solo for this one, and the chorus is excellent and very catchy. One of the better hard rocking songs on the album, alongside No World For Tomorrow."Justice in Murder" has a pretty good lead from Travis throughout, in my opinion this makes the song. Great use of the Wah pedal with it, and the solo as well. Now we have a series of 5 songs called "The End Complete", done Willing Well style. The first. "Fall of House Atlantic", is a quick minute long instrumental. it's very epic, and if I'm not mistaken the drummer breaks out the double bass, which adds big time to the tone of this cool number. "Radio Bye Bye" continues with the traditional Coheed sound. Nice solo, and I can see all the girls singing "uh-oh, it's the curse of the radio bye bye" in their rooms as we speak. "The End Complete" is the second part of the series of the same name. At 7:45, it's a good long song that slows down a bit towards the end."The Road and The Damned" is a much slower song. No curveballs here, just a good ballad. The album is finished with "On The Brink", another long song. This one goes from a Pink Floyd-like intro, and keeps that tone for about 3 and a half minutes, and then the heavy guitars kick in. We go from an "In the Flesh" type intro to the second half of the song, to a pretty cool riff where they chant something I can't understand over and over again. After that calms down, we get a reimagining of "The Final Cut" with some different tones and a sweet sounding solo over it. The story finally ends with some creepy organs, and a quick crash of the bass drum. Saga complete.

Claudio has always been a master with the pen, and this trend continues on "No World For Tomorrow". Choruses like "Gravemakers And Gunslingers" have you singing the words almost immediately. "You've got the gun, I've got the bullets, don't wanna live no more, oh baby be my lover cmon and pull that trigger" is one of the catchiest parts of the cd. The lyrics never really falter, and will have longtime fans pining for more("Now the Crowing dies"). The choruses stand out on this album, both musically and lyrically, and the rest of the album keeps this pace. Well done Mr. Sanchez.

I loved this album. I really wasn't expecting much from it, considering how aweful I thought The Running Free was. All those fans who felt the same, I encourage you to listen to this album regardless, you wont be dissappointed. Coheed has grown by leaps and bounds since Second Stage Turbine Blade, and I couldnt ask for more from No World For Tommorrow. "No world For Tomorrow", "Gravemakers and Gunslingers","The Hound(Of Blood and Rank)", "Justice In Murder","Mother Superior", and "On the Brink" are all worth the purchase of this album alone. Do yourself a favor and get it people!

jeremyeatworld
    Confetti
    saying them "most skilled" in modern music is really thick Even so they are good.
    mfergel
    I'll be sure to let John Petrucci know that (as well as a slew of others).
    TheDisturbed78
    sum1udunno
    yea seriously UG should get rid of the emo part. I thought the UG review was kinda weak, but then I saw that the album got 10 out of 10 and was C&C's heaviest album which makes me want to get it even more.
    Great album. You can hear a lot of pink floyd influence in this one, as far as I can tell. I'd give it an 8, max, but it's still an outstanding album. I don't think it connects in between songs as much as past albums. IKSSE:3 will still be my favorite. As far as the UG review, you aren't a great writer. >.< Try to keep your thoughts in one sentence, and don't repeat them in different sentences. Also, avoid spelling and grammar mistakes....
    thedude97
    Justice in Murder is my favorite. Catchiest chorus ever. And a solo with a killswitch (I love killswitches)! Feathers is also amazing. Overall, it's a beast.
    mibe
    ever since i purchased this album (oh yeah, that does happen :-D) i played the album back and forth, up and down. it's not as good as "in keeping secrets of silent earth" but hey, it's awesome! why redefine their music style in the "last" part of the saga? of course it's still co&ca, but you can't mess with that. ;
    jeremyeatworld
    i shouldnt have said "most skilled"....i should say "most creative"...when youre at petrucci's level, or claudio or travis's level, the skill is about the same...it comes down to whoever sounds the coolest. but the point of my post was to maybe get some reaction on the change in drummers...josh eppard had a very distinct sound, and coheed has a different vibe alltogether on this album. its a great album, but you can tell it's not josh on drums.
    MustangMan311
    No way in hell does this deserve a 10. Absolute bullshit. Coheed is one of my favorites, but this doesn't beat any of the past three albums.
    razer922
    gifted_awakenin wrote: Album of the year! It is amazing!
    I personally don't think this is the best album of the year... that honour goes to the Foo's new album, "Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace". That said, this is definitely one of Coheed's best albums ever. I still think GAIBS4V1 (that's From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness) was the best, simply because of Welcome Home, Apollo I: The Writing Writer, and all four "The Willing Well" tracks. But this is second by far. The title track explodes from "The Reaping" and hits you hard. The strong screams of "RAISE YOUR HANDS HIGH!" make you want to stand up and shout. "The Hound (of Blood and Rank)" is just like something Rush might make, as the UG reviewer said. Freaking amazing. And "Gravemakers and Gunslingers" is my prediction for the next single. It's a strong, driving track with very powerful guitar. Overall, one of the best albums this year... but not the best.
    your_martyr
    im not gonna lie....im a coheed fan. But as a coheed fan, with the months of painful antisipation, i feel a litle let down. I think they took the gloom a little far, and was just a little bland, dont get m wrong i luv coheed, but this is not up to standered. maybe its just cuz we all know its the last one with no hope for improvment. Cant wait to see them live again tho
    gtahunter
    seventyXseven : gtahunter wrote: I love how in the on the brink song it continues as the final cut did...genious not really genius, they did that alot especially with 2113 which had echoes of time consumer and The willing well's had a flashback to blood red summer. its common it's just connecting to parts of the story together. but in no way am i saying this is a bad album, i love it.
    i actually realy didnt mean for anyone to go in depth into it...im just saying its a great idea and there geniouses for doing it
    thycrusader
    i cant wait to get my copy of this album!!!! its sad that they're very underrated. they deserve more praise than they get.
    distortion4116
    What the hell about Coheed and Cambria can be misconstrued as "emo?" Not that I'm an advocate of the whole emo-is-a-dirty-word scene (however, i'm definately not a fan of the genre, but thats simply my taste, i'm sure alot of you people hate opeth or lamb of god, whatever) but just because Claudio's voice is high doesn't make the band emo. Their music is way on the other side of the spectrum from emo.
    thexsunrosered
    the end of feathers kinda reminds me of beating hearts baby from head automatica lol >.< anyway, im on my way to listening to the whole way, and so far, it gets a 8 =]
    seventyXseven
    qotsa1998 wrote: Guitar players can play well, but write the worst songs ever. There skills dont make them good, there creativity makes em good. And that is what makes Coheed and Cambria one of, if not the best, modern rock band. Sure, the drums arent great, and Taylor Hawkins and Chris Pennie dont show off alot, but this album is more about the crazy, heavy guitars and bass sound. They pull it off very well, and have several softer songs on here as well. Gravemakers and Gunslingers is a great song that pretty much shows you how this album should be. Mic's bass really comes thru, like in SSTB, and the guitars are great, like in Good Apollo Vol.1. Which makes this an awesome album. A great contender for Album of the Year, even tho it released rather late this year.
    you can't blame chris pennie for the uncreative drumming. T-Hawk played on the whole record. Recently Live chris has been adding his own fills to the songs that make them better.
    fender_NiNE
    the last two albums have definitely been my favorites. i noticed the fftteom was a lot proggier than nwft but its just as good because the song are more powerful and in your face. i love the opening guitar riff on the song no world for tomorrow and gravemakers and gunslingers is an amazing song. the blues solo the hound of blood and rank is really cool too.
    seventyXseven
    XgamerGt04
    Of course the style is going to change some, the end of the world is coming! It has to be a lot heavier. I loved SSTB and IKSSE3 but the change in style adds to the story .
    C&C Magik
    TheDisturbed78 wrote: i saw the add for this and at first i was like "hey this looks pretty cool" but when i looked it up on youtube, i realized this is the worst crap ever, the music is fine, but the singer is terrible, you can tell that his balls havent dropped.
    Wrong. Just because you sing in a higher pitch does not mean your balls have not dropped and it also does not mean the music is bad. It's a matter of preference. I don't like singers who have husky, rough vocals. That doesn't mean they suck. Why don't you grow up and learn to appreciate amazing music instead of insulting any band that is different?
    vanceboy
    tasmo wrote: this is a good album. but i hate UGs way of rating albums... the shit albusm r like 9 out of 10.... 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 are there to be used...
    The UG Team tends to make use of the 7-10 range, while everyone else that bought it usually gives 9's and 10's. Honestly, almost anything that gets rated (such as videos on YouTube) usually tend to have high ratings...
    theused101
    Rainmaker27 wrote: Nothing deserves a perfect 10, not even gods like Pantera or Sabbath. And frankly, if anyone deserves a 10 on a review, it definatly isn't Coheed.
    duh pantera does not deserve a 10. wtf is this dude thinkin
    Junesongtrigger
    Rainmaker27 wrote: Yeah? Who appointed you God? If UG and nearly every other reviewer gave it a perfect ten, thats good enough for me. Cool, I'm voicing my own opinion, and last time I checked that was still legal. And stop putting x's in your name, scene kid. PS: way to go by everyone else's opinion.
    Yeah say whatever you want but Coheed is a fantastic band and they have a pretty tight group of fans so it isn't very cool when you blatantly put the band down. They are, of course, my favorite band so it is pretty biased but I gave it a quick review and I found that it was about a 4.0-4.5/5.0. IKS was their best but I still love this album the same and I've been a 'Heed fan for years.
    tasmo
    zackvalo16
    i love this album...it's one of the few albums i have i actually enjoy listening to from beginning to end...also im like a huge metal fan (i know Coheed isn't metal) so the heavier songs like Gravemakers and Gunslingers and The Hound are really awesome...my cousin like has already listened to it like 11 times since he got it...lol...freak...lol..
    BusterSword777
    I like this album just fine and all, but (in my opinion) it doesn't even touch the level of awesomeness contained within IKSOSE:3. The only songs that really stand out to me right now are The Hound (of Blood & Rank) and The End Complete V: On the Brink. This might change the more I listen, but I'm not incredibly impressed with it right now. I really miss the SSTB/IKSOSE:3 days... soooo badly...
    ExtremeMetalFTW
    Mobius Man wrote: I can't wait to grab this record. I hope it keeps with the awesomeness of their previous. Snakes & Arrows will still be my #1 for the year though. Just saying...
    that video was on Fuses creepy list... i dint find it creepy, just pretty random. red eyed "zombies" attacking claudio? not creepy
    nklax
    Amazing album,imo the best of the year by far and they're not emo!!!!
    Mobius Man
    soupman634
    the album was amazing in every aspect but as far as coheed cds goes it isn't the best the order (in my opinion) for the best c&c cd's is IKS, SST, NWFT, FTTEOM
    TeXaS_db
    i know what ya mean, when i first heard them i thought they were aweful, and i hated claudios high pitched voice. but when i heard "Welcome Home" on the radio it caught my attetion. so i started listening to it more and more, then i got use to his voice. there talent, instrumentally, is what pulled me in. trust me, just give it a few listens and u will love it.
    MACDIZZLE
    the new album is absolutely amazing!!!!! From the ballad-like stuff to the hard rock stuff its just all good- this is definitely the most technically advanced the music itself has been, they were always outstanding musicians, but they have really progressed with the song writing
    TeXaS_db
    yeah, The End Complete V: On the Brink has a very similar solo.
    sweet, i will definently pick it up then
    Confetti
    SpooneyMallard wrote: Confetti wrote: a7xsoad wrote: mfergel wrote: jeremyeatworld wrote: Coheed's guitars have always been the most skilled in modern music, but up until this album the band has been driven by the drums. this album the drums are more basic and have less flavor, but the transition to more over-the-top guitars does work well. There's a lot going on in this album, it's really involved, but I cant help but wonder how it would've came out with josh on drums. I'll be sure to let John Petrucci know that (as well as a slew of others). Petrucci would ****ing eat your soul and Coheed's guitarists. Petrucci can rape his guitar as much as he likes. it doesent mean he can write good songs and thats the measure of a great guitarist for me. Try to find Guthrie Govan from youtube. He beats Petrucci in both ways. And for Coheed fans i wod say try Mars Volta. Comparing him to Govan is retarded, as Petrucci today writes metal and Govan writes Jazz-fusion stuff.
    And that comment just made you a twat. Petrucci hasnt writen really great songs ever. He has made some ok and even good but thats it. What did you try to imply when you sayd that they do different types of music? That just sounded retarted
    simon4145
    I still wish they brought some Shabutie back. Now that was a lot heavier. Great album nonetheless. Gravemakers & Gunslingers is badass.
    C&C Magik
    TeXaS_db wrote: r there any songs like "The Final Cut" from there last record.
    yeah, The End Complete V: On the Brink has a very similar solo.
    Rainmaker27
    toolemerica
    i really enjoyed listening to this album, my personal favorite is III- The End Complete. i really think they were extremely creative with this album. Still, In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth is still my favorite album by them.
    omarrodrigez
    I'm am a huge Coheed fan but I found this album to be very, very disappointing. They moved from semi-dissonant prog-rock to melodic generic hard rock. The musicianship is great and the songs sound good, it's just not Coheed though. This album was over produced and sterile. I'm not bashing the band, it's just not a very good album for them.
    Guitarfoo1!1
    God I am so excited, I preordered a copy. Coheed & Cambria is the most unique thing that has happened to music in the last 40 years.
    Dear Victoria
    CD is the best thing I've heard in a while. I still wouldn't go as far as compare it to SSTB in awesomeness, but this is the best guitar work they've ever done and the CD is overall awesome. After waiting months for it to come out, while reading the news on noworldfortomorrow.com, it is safe to say I am happy and relieved, especially after how Good Apollo 1 turned out. Pretty much already the CD of the year in my opinion. I think Ima go write a review now.