In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Oct 7, 2003
Coheed and Cambria: In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3

To say the least it blew me away. I would like to think I am a credible source on music and I know what I like, and this album is the best thing on the shelf that I have heard this year. It's extremely tight, and their use of two guitars is as profound as it gets. What I liked most is that the songs are almost like compositions or stories. They don't follow the general formula to their songs, because they are constantly changing the mood, tempo, and overall feel of a song which some go 10 minutes. Similar to AFI, but a little more literal in the lyrics, they are very hardcore but very sweet and soft at times and overall simply amazing.

I'll begin with the singers ability...unreal. I dont think I have heard anyone in a hardcore band with a better voice(even AFI). From piercing scream to a soft whisper to a long high note, Claude Sanchez delivers more feeling and a fantastic voice better than anything that has yet to touch my ears. Now, sometimes I think the lyrics are almost scary at times, but they have such poetic beauty that they are very convincing. Lines such as,"for them, I'll kill anything, cut the throats of babies...", and, " when I kill her I'll have her, die white girls", may seem scary but are only parts of stories and I don't think they reflect the views of the band. In summary, the best young hardcore singer out there.

My overall impression is that Coheed and Cambria have introduced us to what hardcore, punk, whatever the hell it is, should be. The construction of the songs is so deep it will take you many listens just to remember what song was which because they change so much. A couple very very impressive songs are "The camper velourium 3:Al the killer", "In keeping secrets of silent earth 3" and "The light and the glass". It is worth 5 times what is on the price tag because of its lasting appeal. If you like afi, you will definitely love them. Buy It!