In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Oct 7, 2003
Coheed and Cambria: In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3

I first heard of Coheed And Cambria via a friend of mine who told me about this at the time underground rock band that he thought was really good. So I took a listen, not really tryin to even hear them, and when I went back and really listened to them I was blown away. There really isn't a specific genre for this band, they're a little bit emo, punk, hardcore, and alternative. But the best description I can give u is that they are a progressive rock band. The songs on all of they're records are part of a sci-fi story being created by the lead singer Claudio Sanchez. In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 is the second album and 3rd installment of this 4 part series (the series wasn't done in order), the first album being Second Stage Turbine Blade. The songs are composed of heavy power cords and dual layered rifts beautifully done. The sound can be described as epic, songs changing time signatures and showing the emotion of the lyrics. That also is a fault of the songs, out of 11 tracks possibly only 2 or 3 last less than 5 minutes. Some even stretching to 8 and 9. No matter how full and good the music may be, it is easy to grow tired of these songs that feel like they last a eternity. Each song brings u into a world created by the musicians that u can easily get lost in, which is a joy for anybody listening. Every song is awesome and nothing seems out of place or uneeded.

The lyrics of this album are very descriptive into the world of "Coheed and Cambria" the two lovers featured in this story by Claudio Sanchez. This album contains kind of dark lyricism relating to death and war. For example on the track The Velorium Camper 3: Al The Killer he screams "when I kill her! I'll have her, die white girls die white girls". One of the lines that make you rewind and go "what did he just say !" The lyrics go deep and are sometimes confusing due to the language used and the situations your thrown into. The songs make up a story, so they have some kind of relevance, but you just can't figure out what it is. The lyrics go unbelievably well with the music. The music is sometimes unbelievable how he can write lyrics that go along with these rythmes. Each note sung out of his mouth is in derect correspondence with each guitar and drum. One thing said by anyone who listens to Coheed is "what's up with the singers voice!" The style he choices is a kind of helium driven hi-pitched vocals. That is a petential turn off to this band. But the different style of vocals makes them stand out even more from your regular run of the mill rock band. He sings this way as a tribute to one of his favorite bands growin up (Iron Maiden). The sound isn't so high that it's annoying or anything, and it's definetly something that adds to the overall sound. The way he phrases words are also something of a trip. A first listen to a song, u might think the lyrics are one thing, but when u check out the lyric book it totally debunks your theory. So the first couple of listens u maybe stuggleing to understand what he's saying, but what's u get it they compute well.

Artist who Coheed and Cambria have been said to sound like are Mars Volta, Rush (even sometimes called a "Emo Rush"), and Shudder To Think. The songs most memorable from the album are In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3 (title track), A Favor House Atlantic, Three Evils (Emboidied in Love and Shadow), Blood Red Summer, and the hidden track 2113. I love it for how different it sounds from everything else out there, the voice, the riffs, everything. But I hate that they can't seem to make many short songs. That just sometimes gets a little irritating. This is a album I would buy 100 times if I ever lost it, it's something everyone should own and support.