In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Oct 7, 2003
Coheed and Cambria: In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3

I first heard Co&Ca on the Warped Tour '04 Compilation, their song "Three Evils (Embodied In Love And Shadow)". I didn't think much of it until I bought this CD. It is incredible! Co&Ca are one of the best bands around right now. Where most bands stick to strumming powerchords, these guys break into fantastic riffs over an above-average rhythm guitar. The drumming is great and the bass, too, is a lot more complex than what today's bands are doing.

The first gripe I hear about Co&Ca is Claudio Sanchez's voice. "He sounds like a girl!" Get over it! It's irritating for about thirty seconds, about as long as it takes you fully get into their music. IKSSE:3 is their second release, part three of their four part story. The first few tracks depict the dream Claudio (in the story, not the band) has about the war against Wilhelm's Red Army and the torturing of Will by Mayo ("Three Evils"). From "The Crowing" on, we follow Claudio, Ambellina, and Newo, who are helped by Al the Killer, a paranoid, racist sniper, to reach the House Atlantic ("A Favor House Atlantic"). From there, Claudio decides to escape with Ambellina, bidding farewell to his girlfriend, Newo. The final track, "21:13", is an excellent retelling of "Everything Evil" (from The Second Stage Turbine Blade) from Claudio's point of view. The story is a bit hard to follow, but the songs are great to listen to even if you're not interested in the story. My favorite lyrics come from the title track ("Man your own jackhammer! /Man your battlestations/We'll have you dead pretty soon") and "The Velorium Camper III: Al the Killer" ("When I kill her/I'll have her/Die white girls/Die white girls"). Overall, Co&Ca brilliantly piece together words and screams to create the perfect lyrics for their music.

This is and always will be one of my favorite cds. Of all the songs on the disc, I am constantly finding new favorites, including "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3", "Cuts Marked in the March of Men", "The Crowing", "Blood Red Summer", "The Velorium Camper III: Al the Killer", and the absolutely perfect "The Light and the Glass". If this CD was stolen, I'd buy it again immediately. It's that good. Get over any problem with Claudio's voice; there are singers out there that are much harder to listen to (for me, it's GN'R, I had to get over him). The only real problem I have with this disc is that it ends.

con job
    IceDrgn4 wrote: I still don't think they should fall under the style of Emo
    i totally agree there is little to no emo characteristics in these guys.
    con job
    got this album over the xmas it kicks ass especially the Velourium Camper all three parts of that are classic!
    CHKurenai
    Coheed and Cambria are not emo. And i'm tired of people saying, "Oh, he sounds like he got kicked in the nuts...". They're just jealous that they can't sing as well as Claudio, or play guitar as well for that matter.