In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 review by Coheed and Cambria

• Released: Oct 7, 2003
Coheed and Cambria: In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3

In Keeping Secrets is the 2nd album from New Prog Rockers Coheed and Cambria, part 3 in their story "The Amory Wars". The Style of this album is much different from the first album, SSTB, because it takes a more fun, almost poppy turn on most songs. The guitars parts of Stever and Sanchez stay amazing as they continue to utilize that duel guitar attack. The Vocals are as usual, amazing, with Sanchez hitting all the right notes and stunning listeners with his range. And, lets not forget Mic Todd and Josh Eppard, as they both contribute some impressive drum tracks and bass lines to push the greatness of this album. As I said earlier, the album is far more upbeat, poppy, and heading to a more radio friendly style, yet it still finds a way to stay true to their prog/ hard rock side throughout. Sometimes the album goes a little to poppy however, as songs like "Blood Red Summer" and "A Favor House Atlantic" sound as if they were meant for "MTV". Not saying that they are bad songs in any way, but it is just not the Coheed from SSTB.

The lyrics on this album are stunning, by far better than SSTB (which had amazing lyrics itself) because of the many catchy choruses and memorable verses. The entire album is easily listened to in sequence, and you cannot almost feel the story as the powerful lyrics hit you. From the first verse of In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3, to the final lines of 21:13 (IRO-Bot) you will be hooked on the words and phrases of Coheed and Cambria. Lets not forget the vocals either. Claudio, along with some backup of both his band and a chorus on several songs, put together in my opinion his absolute best vocal performance of all the albums. He hits the highs and lows, the screams and wails, and it all comes together perfectly. He hits it, the Rockin' songs such as "The Crowing" or "Three Evils" to the lower, softer songs such as "Backend of Forever" and some of "21:13" the vocals are just outstanding. Overall, one of the best written, and sung albums I own.

Overall, it is a great album, even with the small change in muscial style. The album rocks throughout, and having 21:13 finish it off at the end seems far too perfect. However, it could have been better in my opinion. The guitar work on some songs was lacking in style. Several songs bring together familiar chord progressions that have been slightly re-worked. Because of this, I can't regard it in the same way as I do SSTB, which changes so dramatically from song to song. Even so, the album is amazing, and as all Coheed and Cambria albums are, it will always be a classic to me.